Robert Moses State Park, NY

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by StormCaster, Nov 12, 2006.

1. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Fished the surf this past Saturday using clams. First striped bass was just a bit under the 28" length, which I hooked on a bait holder hook. The bass was released. Unfortunately I mistakenly grabbed the shank of the hook and the thrashing fish caused the shank part of the hook to slice my finger open. Bleeding like crazy, but did bandaged as best I could with the first aid kit in my truck. Usually I carry the fish plier, but did not expect to get hit hard after chucking the bait into the surf. Fished some more and managed to catch four more striped bass, before the finger started bleeding again. I don't think I am going to use those types of hook anymore after this.

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on the catch...keep fishing with those hooks but just don't catch any fish that thrash around :tounge_out:

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Is Robert Moses State Park where Jones Beach is located? I used to live in Garden City by Nassau Comm Coll as a kid and used to go fishing and crabbing down at this pier near Jones Beach.

Sounds like you had a good day fishing other than the incident you mention! I remember going on charters and catching alot of fluke and blue fish, even a sand shark once. Good fishing on LI.

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Robert Moses is about 15 miles north of Jones Beach on Fire Island. I have to admit the blues are fun to catch, but a little too fishy for me. Long Island has changed in the last few years or call it urban sprawl. Thanks for the reply.

5. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    guys i grew up fishing that stretch of beach man do i miss it the best striper fishing ive ever had.now im in the south and those flatties sure stand up and fight too .nice catch glad to know there still there.