Robert C. Byrd dam

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by trey5569, Jun 8, 2007.

1. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    any one ever fish the rcb dam in mason wv either side

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yes and its nice. we hooked 2 to never see. 1 pulled the boat around. we put in at point pleasant. Didnt know of any other docks. and motored for like 30min to the dam..some nice hole.1 hint though fish the outside turns of the river. the water washes them out making them deeper and cooler. But if you go towards the dam there are some nice rock piles..

3. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    my first trip down there i dont want to drag the boat ever fish it off of the bank wv or ohio side

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ohio side is far superior but you may wish to bring extra tackle, it can get snaggy over there.
    And think heavy sinkers. Ohio side has most of the current.

WV side is not near as productive but there are many fish to be had there. Access is a bit easier if that is a concern.

There is a small boat ramp a few miles south at Greenbottom off RT 2 on the WV side but I do not recomend leaving your rig there. It is very secluded and many have returned to find parts of thier rig missing.

5. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    welcome to my main fishing hole i fish the locks alot i live about 20 mins away form the wv side i have caught some good cats along the rocky banks of the locks the ohio side is definitly better but way too many snags for me alot of gar there too the wv side allows you to fish from bank and you can choose your current if ya fish close to the locks the current is not bad the farther you go down along the rocks the current gets stronger because of the lock walls block alot of the current from the rollers all the rollers are on the ohio side. i have hooked up several time and was broke off without even seeing the fish but i knew they were big. whole skipjack are killer but come prepared with big tackle. the water is very low there right now lack of rain so i haven't fished it much so far this year, i figured if the water is lower than the rocks the baitfish will not come in and no baitfish means not many predators. if ya fish i wish ya luck. hook in to a big one for me will ya