Robbed of cats - by a cat.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jerryb, Oct 15, 2007.

1. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was out late last Saturday night, fishing off a dock at a local lake... once I set up there, I kept hearing this "meow meow" behind me.... It was a stray cat that was interested in getting something to eat... I chased it off a couple of times, and the last time I figured it was gone for good (don't get me wrong - I love cats! I had one just die after having him for 8 years...)..

Anyway, back to the peace and tranquility of the lake at 2 in the morning...After trying cut gill and liver for a bit with no hits, I switched one of my lines to some frozen (now thawed) shad that I had, and wham! within 10 minutes had a nice channel on the line... tried it on the same line again, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and 20 minutes later had another nice channel...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - the shad? It was in a freezer bag, that I had setting on the dock next to my tackle box. As I was taking the second cat off the line, about 10 feet away from my tackle box, I hear plastic rustling....

sho' nuff, I look up, and see that stray cat digging in the plastic bag! I yelled at him, and he took off. With the bag of shad. The whole bag. Didn't even leave me one.

I grabbed my flashlight and went looking for him (or the bag), but couldn't find him. Needless to say, I was NOT a happy camper.

*sigh*

Never got another hit after going back to the gill and liver.

And that stupid cat came back and started meowing at me again.

Ungrateful.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gotta take the dog with ya next time or something for the cat to eat.

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    At least it was Polite...
    Came Back to Say Thanks!!

Love those deals. The Trip will be remembered long after a sack of fish ya "Might" have caught would have.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    IT ALWAYS GETS WORSE BEFOR IT GETS BETTER......OR NOT:eek:oooh:

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Jerry, hate to tell you this, but, people don't choose cats, cats choose people. If that cat is there next time you go back, consider yourself choosen. It will be time for you to start acting like a proper pick for that cat and scratch him behind the ears before he takes your bag of shad.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This may be your replacement cat for the one you loss. He chose you to help your grief.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Now that's karma for you. If you had shared a bit of bait with the little guy you could have carried on fishing. He obviously knew you weren't in a sharing mood so he had to take things into his own hands:smile2:...W

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Just throw out your net get some fresh Shad for you and Kittie.I'm sure he/she wil appericate the fresh meal instead of a frozen one.Sounds like you made a friend.

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    That cat just wants some more shad.LOL.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Easiest way to deal with critters when fishing, like cats, bears, bigfoot, Throw them a bone now and then. Share the bait. A full belly makes good company.
    :wink:

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have 5 dogs. any one of them would be glad to take care of that little problem for you. you're welcome to borrow one or two of them next trip :0a10::smile2:

12. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To all of you who suggested I throw him a little something - I did. One of the first things I did was to throw him a gill body that I had just cut. He took off with it, and was right back... now that I think about it, he came back pretty quickly after taking that bag of shad...

Hmm. Wonder if he was feeding a family?

Now you all have me feeling guilty... :embarassed:

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    So what did ya name it??:tounge_out:

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Guess now you got someone to talk to at 2 in the morning when fishing. :big_smile:

15. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    atleast you got to catch 2 before he got the rest of your bait. past few times i have been out i haven't even caught 1

16. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I see him again, I'll might just try to buddy up with him... would be a good thing to have a cat that smart, strong and fast on my side... :)

I'm gonna name him Shark. Seems to fit. :big_smile:

Josh, don't feel bad - I've not been able to catch nuthin' for at least a month... that's what made this so frustrating... I'd finally got something going, and he took it from me... *sigh*

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    BOOOOO HISSSSS BOOOOO HISSSSS
    Phil, where is the love??????????:confused2:...W

18. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I heard that "cat liver" is a good catfish bait. :cool2:

Will :004:

19. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm thinkin that you have a new buddy there for sure!

20. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I always keep a shad or two for a pair of strays that live by a local boat launch. They are very timid until the food comes out, then they get real friendly.