Roaring River State Park

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by jayhawkokie, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    A friend of mine has been bugging me for several years to go Trout fishing on the Roaring River. Has anyone fished it? I've heard it's a mad house on opening day.

Your feed back is greatly appreciated.

2. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never been there on opening day but have fished it a few times. Did well in the natural bait area.
    never caught any lunkers, just the usual limit of stockers. Its a pretty park and stream.
    Good Luck,
    DA

3. ShowmeWhiskers

ShowmeWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Roaring river aint bad, its all about the tackle and finesse with trout. My favorite is Montauk State Park on the Current River. Alot of water there so you can get away from all the people. Light line and small tackle is the key. I use 1 lb. test line and make all my own jigs, works like magic every time.

4. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have fished Roaring River since I was a kid. It is set up very nicely in pot holes. I fish in the flywater or artificial water exclusively. There is a trick I almost hesitate to mention, but you will catch more fish. Use clear sewing machine line. You have to use your drag, but the amount of strikes you will get will increase tremendously. I use a peach or brown roach and multi=color puff balls under some type of strike indicator(float). I also use white hair jigs. I have never went there and NOT caught my limit in all the years I have fished there.

5. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    Thanks for all the input. I'm looking forward to going there and give it a try. It certainly seems more intricate fishing for trout than throwing a jig for bass or setting on the water waiting for a big cat to hit your bait.

Jayhawkokie
    Grand Lake, OK

6. mocatman

mocatman Guest

I grew up spending time fishing for trout in the white mountains in Arizona. My first Missouri trout fishing trip in Missouri was last summer at roaring river. It was very nice scenery and a great place to enjoy the outdoors. As for the fishing it was shoulder to shoulder, You could see all the fish right on front you and seemed a little staged to me. But i am not used to that kind of fishing so i didnt care for it. Best of luck to ya if you decide to ge after em!

7. hd99softail69

hd99softail69 New Member

State:
    southeast ,kansas
    HI, was just woundering .......what do you mean,"clear sewing machine thread?"Thanks!

8. ShowmeWhiskers

ShowmeWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have also tried the sewing machine thread, trick I learned from my uncle. Its been years but I just switched to light monofilament. Its kinda pricey tho. I get like 220 yard spools for like 15 bucks, but now we have to have it shipped from California cuz nobody sells it here anymore, except the trout parks where its way overpriced. I think you can get away with using 2 lb/test and its cheaper and easy to find. You will still get bites and it doesnt break nearly as easily. I use 1/64 ounce jigs and 1/32 ounce in deep slowmoving pools, in colors I cant mention. Trout fishing is an art with many secrets. To beat the crowd go in the spring after opening day but before the summer and avoid weekends if possible. Im heading to Montauk for a week starting March 27 and we usually have nearly the entire park to ourselves, its very nice.
    Good luck and be patient

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm not a trout fisherman per sey but it is a beautiful park. They get elbow to elbow there on opening day. I go thru there all the time going to Tablerock. Below beaver dam is pretty and also has some good trout fishing. if ya go to roaring river, take the time to walk up the hill and look at the hatchery ponds, it has some huge fish in it, nice for kids to see. Also the restraunt across the road has fantastic breakfast.

10. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The family goes for a week every year. If your not a Fly Fishing guy you can catch a limit with a light spinning rod, 4lb line and a small dark colored Meps spinner but you can do it lots of different ways.