Roanoke River (Stripers)

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by TheGrizz18, Mar 9, 2009.

1. TheGrizz18

TheGrizz18 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys I hope the fishing has been good for everyone and i'm ready for it to get warm and stay that way so I can get on some flatheads. I do have a question off the catfish topic and would appreciate some help. I went to weldon last year for the striper run and was given some bait which I think was bass minnows and they seemed to work really great for catching striper out there. My question is that what is the best bait to use out there and where could I get some without having to buy 10 dozen bass minnows from the bait shop? Any info would be really great and I'm hoping some fellow fishermen might be able to help me out with this. Thanks for all the help guys and tight lines!!!

2. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    bass minnows do work great but shad wks better,,,,,minnows are easier to keep though.......most guys i know who use shad put in at roanoke rapids lake and go up near the dam wall, far or near side and cast net shad and then go put in the river ......when they are in there thick you really cant tell the shad is better because if it wiggles they will hit it....the shad just does better early or late in the run...........mack

3. TheGrizz18

TheGrizz18 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok I see well let me ask you this If I go with shad instead of minnows do I need to be fishing them alive or could I use them as cut bait instead. Just wondering because I cant keep a shad alive and If they need to be alive then I would have to go with minnows because I just cant keep them stubborn shad alive lol. Thanks for the help by the way