Roanoke River near Scotland Neck

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bleach7175, Jun 18, 2009.

1. bleach7175

bleach7175 New Member

State:
    NC
    Took my Son and Daughter a rare occasion at her age now (14) spent the last 3 hours on the river around Scotland Neck we set out about 15 jugs around fallen tree's and then R/R fished. WE ended up with a mix of 3 smaller blues 4 to 6 lbs and 7 Channel Cats 3 to 4 lbs and 3 Rock Fish "throw backs" all in all great day on a very quiet river most of the catfish were caught on the jugs right close to the tree's. My question is does anyone else fish up there only saw one boat. Any additional pointers welcome

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Bill welcome to the BOC ,this is a great site lots of good info and great people too.If u get a chance check out the N.C ROLL CALL THREAD AN THE N.C .GATHERING THREAD :wink:

3. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    I bass and striper fish on the roanoke sometimes... Been around scotland neck a few times.. Havent tried catfish there though...

I dont think many people fish roanoke for catfish.. Its not really well known for that... Mostly known for bass and stripers..

Thats really good you got out with your family and caught some good numbers of fish..

The chowan is suppose to have some big blues in it.. I aint sure on flatheads up there... Fishin has been tough on the roanoke and chowan since the hurricanes.. It pushed so much salt up the rivers it pretty much wiped em out .. It hurt the chowan worse than the roanoke though.. So the farther up you are the higher population of fish you should have... Roanoke is comin back on the lower end though purdy good where it was hurt the most ... Chowan is slowly on the rebound... The state stocked bluegills and largemouths a few years back on the chowan.. So catfish should be gettin better with the return of baitfish and bluegills to feed on..

4. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I have a friend that fishes a lot in the Roanoke. He reports catching mostly small channel and blue catfish (less than 10 lbs). I don't know if that is typical. He fishes with cut herring or mullet.

Good luck

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There is some nice blues in the Roanoke. We shocked one up about 35lbs

6. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I know this thread is a bit old but I was doing a search on the for threads discussing the Roanoke. What part of the Roanoke did you shock that 35lber? Are there good fish as far down as Williamston?

7. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    is it legal to shock there?