Road trip - need some good fishing spots

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by bottom_rig, May 22, 2006.

1. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    hows it going. last year around august me and my bud made a road trip all through the south our main goal was mississippi. we went through holly springs, oxford, tunica, clarksdale, yazoo and a ton of other cities. on the whole trip we never got to fish, i dont know why, but anyway. were headin back down in august again to north mississppi and places beyond, this time were setting aside alot of time for some catfishin. i was just wandering if you guys had any suggestions for area's that are prime spots. were gonna fish the miss river, but just curious if there any good creeks, lakes, ponds etc. a flat head or two would make the trip that much better. any info would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

mike

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, Pickwick is always a good place to visit and fish. It's just north of Corinth, Mississippi. You can also visit the Shiloh battlefield, which is just a few miles downstream from the dam.

3. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Bottom Rig,

Pickwick IS a beautiful spot. Pretty river down near the Shiloh Battlefield. I've only been once. I didn't tour the battlefield, but made it to the area on the river, and it is beautiful scenery! I got kind of caught up while I was supposed to be fishing, in thinking about the history of the area, and the battle,

West of Tunica, there is a nice campground with a bathroom (his and hers / take your own paper), electricity in every campsite, but there's only 5 or 6 sites, and it is FREE. The camp sits right on the river, and there is a public ramp nearby. My, how Tunica County has changed in the last 15 years! Used to be THE poorest county per capita in the NATION.
    From the campsites, you can view about 10 miles of river, and the towboats will probably pass about 150 yds from the camp, in August.

You'll have to talk to the Memphis crowd for where to fish up around Memphis, but I think anywhere you can get bait in the water is a prime spot.

Any trip to Oxford, MS is incomplete without a visit to Brother BadKarma's favorite fish'n hole. Find him and, if you have some time to kill, engage him in a conversation about anything. :big_smile:

Look some of us up when you get ready to come down. We might meet y'all somewhere for a fish'n trip or a cold one!

4. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    bottom-rig, you lucked out and went to the best place first! in the last 13 months i've fish from wash. state to penn. and i've always got great advice and heads up on fishing and camping spots even hooked up with some BOC brothers and made some new ones too! ( supposed to hook up with Teavally this week in ohio.) i'm not rich in the $ dept. i am a travelin millwright n welder, heck i'v even turned down jobs cause there wasent a good fishin hole nearby! when i find out where im goin i go to that states thread n holler, i'm always surprised at the response. alot of folks that dont normaly post will holler with good advice.

5. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    thanks alot fellas, i really appreciate the tips. ill definitly fit pickwick into the travel plans. i was disapointed to travel all through miss. last year and not get the line wet, the rods just sat in the bed of the pick up the entire time.
    ill have to put a post in the memphis section since ill be headin through there too.
    ill keep you guys posted about the trip, all the areas are still tentative, when im headin on through ill let ya know. im looking forward to spending more then just three days in the state.

thanks again

mike bottom rig

6. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    hwy Bottomrig if you get a cahnce to make it over to south alabama look me up i know a few places over here we can go adn catch some nice ones. Wish you luck and have a safe trip.

7. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Have you ever heard of the Tenn-Tom waterway. It is located in northeastern MS. It runs from the Tenn. river south. Actually you can take it all the way to the Gulf coast. It was built by our mighty tax dollars as a bypass for the barge traffic to use when the Miss. river gets clogged up with a wreck or other disaster. There are a series of locks and dams but you can easily drive along the waterway relatively closely. There are some really nice spots on the waterway to fish along with some really great campgrounds. We used to go to Bay Springs alot. It is a nice large reservoir. I lived near Fulton so we boated alot in that lake. Each lock has a nice reservoir with Bay Springs being the largest. I have an uncle that fishes the waterway regularly. I am going down there this weekend for a quick visit, my parents still live in the area. I will talk to my uncle and find out some hot spots for you to try, if you like. Good luck on your trip enjoy MS that's where I grew up and will always be my home.
    Tony

8. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Also Mike you can pm me closer to when you're going down and I can give you more information on the waterway.

Tony