Riveting to repair a boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Captain Kilowatt, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Hello again. I will need to do some riveting to repair my boat and although I know the general concept, I've never done it or seen it done. Is there a particular rig or riveting gun I should look for? Can anyone give me some pointers on what to do concerning aluminum boats? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Good link, I have not been able to find proper rivets locally and have been getting by with the cheapo pop rivets for "hull to rib". I have learned how to make 'em work but a proper rivet is the way to go.

4. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Talk with the local aircraft repair mechanic.

5. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you have a Fastenall store near by they have aircraft style rivets that can be purchased and to properly set the rivets you need a air hammer and sets for each size of rivet. My advise is to you is to measure the old rivet size and move up to the next size bigger in diameter. Rivet lenght is measured in 1/16s and you need about 1/8 to 3/16 longer rivet than the thickness of what you are joining together. It is pretty easy to do but just kinda expensive to get set up to start with.Expect to spend close to $100 in setup for tools and materials but once the startup costs are over its cheap after that. Look at buying airhammers online by doing a google search for aircraft tools and you do not need a very big air hammer{a E-3 will be big enough}and get you a piece of steel for a bucking bar to set the rivet. Experiment on a piece of scrap metal to learn how to do it and then go from there. I did sheetmetal work on aircraft for 20 yrs,wish I was closer to help.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I once ordered and used the correct rivets from MonArk.They will be the correct alloy,temper etc.for the aluminum in a boat.peewee-williams