Rivers

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by switchback, Jul 8, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alright I have never fished in the river besides the skillet fork and thats a far cry from a real river. So i need some tips on where are some good starting points on the local rivers. wabsh kaskaskia ohio and such THanks

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    If you've never fished a river, the Wabash and Kaskaskia will be ok, but go out with someone else before you take a boat on the Ohio or Mississippi for the first time..

3. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    hey were are you at in illinois

4. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am in the middle of nowhere really. I live close to sam dale lake. The closest bigger town to me is fairfield but I live between sims and johnsonville.

5. U-262FirstMate

U-262FirstMate New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey,

I don't know the area well, but in looking at my trusty copy of the Illinois Atlas and Gazeteer, I would say your best bet is the Little Wabash River. Lake-Link says that there is a 60 foot hole in that river which means there's probably some big cats in there. I've fished the Wabash before when I lived in Indiana, and I know there's monster cats in there. It would stand to reason there would be a good population of nice fish in the Little Wabash. You could probably fish it with a jon boat if you can find a ramp or a nice sloping bank where you can launch a boat. This river is definitely on my list of rivers I'd like to fish when I get the chance, it's just not very close to me and not worth the trip with gas at $4.00 a gallon. Give it a try and post how you do :).

U-262

6. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    k thanks i will have to try that soon

7. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    well i fish the kaskaskia but its at lake shelbyville. i'm not sure how deep the river gets where u r but its about an average of 6-8 feet usually where i am and i tend to have to most luck in the holes about 12 to 15 feet deep. hope this helps. also, i fish the ohio about 3 weekends a year and have the most luck in the 50 to 60 foot depths. i will catch some at the entrances and exits when the river kicks off and makes an island too.