Rivers talk

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Feb 11, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    What's going in with you guys in the central part of the state? We're getting geared up for the Delta-lover Gathering and would appreciate an update on the fishing in the the rivers up there. I know some of you have to be fishing and even reports of no fish are helpful. Tell us what you have tried that didn't work as well as what did. You can save us a lot of unproductive effort.

2. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey big Tom
    I don't think this is central part of the state enough for what your wanting, but I can tell you this, they are not biting at all, hear on the Duct. I have tried Chicken liver, Anchovies and Night Crawlers, with no bites at all. The weather hear is starting to warm up a little and it rained all night, so I am hopeing that will change things, let you know tuesday.

3. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Ok Tom .
    I went out yesterday morning for about 6 hours and caught one 8# pound channel cat, and I had several other good bits, but they just wasn't as serious as the one I caught. I don't think it will be long before they start biting good. I will let you know

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks Phil, been gone to the river with Bay Runner Ray all week, just got in. Tomorrow I post a report.

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    We still need to hear from you guys in the central Ca. areas.
    Whats happening on the Feather River? How about the Merced?
    Anyone been fishing at Colusa?
    How about No.Ca. Is the fishing so good you don't have time to fill us in?

6. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I'm going to visit my brother in-law in San Jose. Any good fishing around the area?

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Looked at my maps and could not find anything local... You have the south bay area for ocean, and east and south is the San louis Resevoir, I'd say talk to Bert (Shaina) regarding his area .....

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Depending on when you are planning to visit Ocean rock fish may be your best bet, If the season is open when you get here. Ain't much can compare to a 15lb or better Ling cod on 20lb form around 90 ft. No room for error there any mistake and he'll drag you right down into the rocks he lives in.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Look into clear lake. Good channel fishing and also crappie. As a matter of fact I hear the crappie are slamming there right now.

10. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    ive been fishing the feather river alot at a bridge near wards landing after you drive through the town of sutter. Its wierd though cuase all i catch are carb and bullheads. ive tried tons of different techniques and just dont know where the big channels are. Went to cache creek on clear lake last week...no luck there either, but it was a cold weekend. anyone with advice of where to go on clear lake or near marysville id really appreciate it.

11. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I just heard of a 40+lb striper caught on the feather river near shanghai bend. Not sure what it was taken on. Even heard of a spring run salmon caught at the Outlet on a spinner.

I've heard of a few sturgeon being caught just north of Verona on the sacramento river as well as a little farther up around Knights Landing.

Clear lake has been on fire for months for big crappie. The most popular (& most crowded) areas are the four poles, konocti, shag rock, and the kono tyee area. The warm weather the last 10 days is starting to get the channel cats active. Heard a first hand report of a guy who caught 7 channels earlier this week, all over 20 pounds, total stringer weight over 150#'s! ! ! He weighed his fish with Bob Rider at Lakeshore Bait & Tackle in Red Bud.

The striper fishing is pretty slow around Sacramento right now. It will pick up within the next month as the stripers begin their spring migration up to their spawning grounds. April & May are always good striper fishing months around Sacramento. American Shad should begin their run in the spring throughout the Sac area. I'm waiting for both to happen.

Folsom lake is kicking out 12 - 16 inch salmon around the dam, mormon island and up into the south fork for those trolling in the 25 - 35 foot range. Excels, apexes, uncle larry's spinners, and other various lures are bringing in some fish.

Lake Oroville is on fire for small salmon in the 8 to 12 inch range. Can't really keep them off your hook. The fishing for them should be great in another year when they have a little more size.

The delta is still kicking out sturgeon and stripers. Largemouths are getting active as well with this warmer weather.

And lastly, the carp are beginning to fill up the backs of coves in most area lakes. They should be easy pickins if the warm weather keeps up as they are getting the urge to spawn.

Good luck and get bent

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Sounds like things is getting active in No cal. Good posting.