Rivers Or Lakes?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Nov 6, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    would you rather fish rivers or lakes and why? Id rather fish a river b/c it seems that there are bigger fish in the river and they are easier to locate by foot since i dont have a boat.

2. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    for me i like fishin lakes most because you can get a good feel for where the fish spend alot of they're time feedin and if you keep good track of where they are,how deep your fishin,time of year and what bait you use then your almost sure to hit everytime.but dont get me wrong i aint dissin the river cause no cat fights like a BIG RIVER CAT!!!!!I just have better lick at lakes.plus i dont have any real good river spots to fish.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I like big river fishing much better. I like it alot better because I can seem to get on bigger cats in rivers than lakes. I also like having the current to help move baits along ledges and against logjams and such. But i have much more experience on rivers too though.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Rivers.
    Absolutely rivers.

Number of reasons.
    Around here, lakes means Santee Cooper, and while there are deffinatley some good cats in there, the crowds ruin it for me.

Plus the rivers are closer.

Besides, I like moving water. Always have. Rivers are alive. Moving. Changing. How did that line from Pocahontas go? It's never the same river twice. Current gives the fish (and me) something to orient to. Lakes are just laying there. Kind of dead like.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What I love most about rivers is:
    You can't step in the same river twice
    The water's always changing, always flowing
    But people, I guess, can't live like that
    We all must pay a price
    To be safe, we lose our chance of ever knowing
    What's around the riverbend
    Waiting just around the riverbend

I look once more
    Just around the riverbend
    Beyond the shore
    Where the gulls fly free
    Don't know what for
    What I dream the day might send
    Jut around the riverbend
    For me
    Coming for me

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I spent my first 31 years within a few miles of the Mississippi and for the past 26 years I have lived thirty minutes from the Missouri so I guess that could have a lot to do with why I prefer rivers over lakes . I've fished a few large lakes/resevoirs but they just don't have the same appeal to me as the rivers do. The rivers have a certain wildness and mystery to them that the resevoirs I've fished just can't compare to. The fishing can be good or bad in either one but for reasons that are hard to explain, just give me a muddy ol river any day.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Plus, to be fair, it's easier to find the structure on a small to medium river than on a lake (at least for me). The top of all lakes looks pretty much the same.

8. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I like river fishin better because it seems like you can just go anywhere you want and not trapped in a big hole like a lake. i also think the moving water is cleaner. you other river men said it well.

9. jimmyk

jimmyk New Member

State:
    virginia
    positively rivers. I have better luck and catch bigger fish in the rivers.

10. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    For years Ive only fished lakes, mostly because I knew how to fish them , where to fish them and when to fish them ..and to be honest I was kinda nervous about the river. I didnt know anything about them and didnt want to drive 45 min to the river just to loose tackle and come home skunked,
    But thankfully NetmanJack and Jason454 took me under there wing and showed me some stuff this summer ..now I dont think Ill ever want to fish the lakes again !

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Good thinkin for a thread. Iwas sittin here last night wondering the same thing.I used to be strictly lakes now Im strictly rivers go figure

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I also enjoy river fishing over lake fishing, i think partly because its much quieter, and the river seems to have a personalty, and a mystery that a lake dosent have.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't recollect one person preferring resevoirs or lakes in this thread. Guess they'd better start praying that federal judges ruling stating rivers are private property is overturned. Otherwise, you will all be trespassing. LOL

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think a river is better. It seems u have better sucess in a river.

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Guess you could say I like to fish both, as the lakes I fish have rivers running through them.

16. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    I've never actually fished a lake for cats before. Plenty of trout fishing in lakes, but never catfish. The Colorado River gives me my fill of catfishing, so I guess by default I'm a river guy.

17. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i live 20 mins from th misissippi river and am there every chance i get so i would say i fish rivers mostly because you might catch a 2 pound fish or a new world record you never know but i have a couple small farm ponds i fish that have some decnt sized channels in them as for large lakes i do not fish them because there are usually to many people

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For me, it's the same distance to Mark Twain lake, and the Missouri river. I have had better luck with size and numbers from the lake. However the allure of knowing for a fact that there are 100+ pound cats swimming around is too much to pass up. The river is always exciting even when I come home empty handed. It's like work...fun work. The river rules. River cats rule.

19. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    They are all right. Rivers have the nicest cats. Thats my theory anyway.

20. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i started out fishing lakes this summer and found a lot of holes. it was totally fun and then me and my buddy started fishing the damn and the creek that runs out of it and i dont know if id ever go back. The creek runs back through the woods and its beautiful. i think its more fun chumming the water too it sends the scent down stream and brings them kitties in!