RiverPro Jet boat Owners?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Bigfish18, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I would like a ride in a RiverPro HiPro with someone that can show me the boats capabilities. I hope there is a RiverPro owner within a few hour drive of me. I live in Wichita KS. Surely there are some RiverPro boats closer then the Hillsboro shop.

Thanks
    Cody Forshee

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jim (primitivefrn) has one. Ive rode in it for several years now fishing with him and it has never let us down. Were headed out in the morning in it to jump a few stumps...Very impressive boat. Weve fished everything from the Mo. rivers to all the lakes and rivers. Look in the back ground of my avatar. :big_smile: He will probably see this and respond or you might send him a pm.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Cody,

We had River Pro as a sponsor for a period of time. During that timeframe, members who had one loved the boat.

When talking with the owner of the company, he always warned that it was a specialized boat, and as long as the new owner understood that, they would be more than satisfied.

I always thought they were very nice!

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Cody,

Give Kevin a call at River Pro I'm sure he (if anyone) can show you how to drive them. He showed me. And I love every thing about mine.
    I bought a 176 high pro spring of '07 with the 200 hp optimax sport jet.
    If it has water on top of it I ain't affraid to go over it. River Pros are all about handling and they do it well.
    For the waters I primarily fish, the upper St. Croix and the Snake river I couldn't ask for a better boat.
    Lets just say my next boat will be a River Pro.

1st pic just got home.
    2nd pic after some rigging.

Attached Files:

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Is this the brand of boat they talked about in In-Fisherman magazine back
    some years ago? Doug Stange wrote a story about running this puppy
    through the snaggy, shallow waters up around the headwaters of the Kaw
    in Kansas up around where I live. I've always thought this way of building
    them was logical for the waters around here. But I can't afford better than
    my little jonboat which is much easier to portage when the water gets a
    little thin up the Smoky Hill river or some of the little feeder creeks. Is that
    powerplant a Mercury Inboard jet? They say it looks weird but runs sweet.

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Man Dave thats a sweeeeeeeeeetttt rig you got there!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh::smile2:

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Iown a River Pro, 2002 model, have put it through the paces, uper osage river.
    Missouri, river, will go through some skinny water, (have to use common sense thou.) mine has 175 merc. sports jet.
    has its advantages, this boat corners real good top end around 45.mph
    built real good, Kevin is a nice person to deal with. and lives these boats.
    I live at Collins mo. off 54 hwy. about 40 miles east of Fort Scott Kansas.
    Will be glade to answer any questions you might have. or a ride If you want.
    Jim

8. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It's a Mercury inboard. It is also the only boat I've ever been on that has breaks. It can stop right now.
    It was featured in a couple mags a while back. There is some links to the articles on thier web site.
    http://www.riverpro-boats.com/index.html

Attached Files:

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    You know, this boat would cost me more than my house. Then the
    state would take a big, wet bite out of my a$$ come tax time. Like
    the fox said at the end of the Aesop fable "The grapes are probably
    sour anyway.". Doesn't make me feel better, but it sounds good...

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Might become a week end guide, put your name on side of boat and you have a business expense and a traveling bill board. just trying to help
    Jim

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    how shallow will these boats run? rollo

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well I'll tell you what I have been through with mine.

I occasionally fish this smaller river (Snake River) a tributary to the upper St. Croix in Minnesota. Last year was probably one of the dryest on record.
    There were portions that were 6 inches or less with ocassional riffels that barely had water flowing over. Some of this was a mile or two long. I had no problems navigating those waters as long as I was up on plane. To set down and re start I needed 12-16 inches which was usually at every sharp bend in the river. That was ok cause I was fishing the holes in the bend anyway.
    Now I bet you are thinking there is no way a 18 ft. 200 hp inboard that weighs 1500 lbs. dry, can go that shallow. This boat does, and it does it well.

When I have the boat loaded with fuel and gear and a couple guys this boat will easily float in about 8 inches.

Well now I have cabin fever bad. I just looked at the thermometer and it reads -13. :sad2: I can't wait till spring!

13. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dave I have a Tracker pro 185 jet with the 120 merc. sport jet. My problem is ocasionally sucking up rocks. What do you do in this event? That seems to be my only gripe with this set up. I know the berkeley jets have a clean out inside the boat for this,but you need a v8 to power these pumps. It does suck when you have a rock jammed in your impeller DOWN river.lol

14. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    IMO if you could get a an aluminum boat with a berkeley pump in it you would be better off. The only thing is it will use more gas than a sport jet.

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have skimmed across water as shallow as 2-3 inches and have yet to suck up any rocks. The trick to it with a River Pro is, when you see a shallow ridge of a gravel or sand bar you throttle it back so you just glide over the obstruction. You have to do this just as the boat reaches the shallow point. The boat then pushes enough water in front of it to float it over the ridge, then it is back on the throttle. This does two things for you, 1 it gives you water to float on and 2 it lowers the suction pressure at the intake so you can't pick up rocks.
    I don't know about your boat, though Kevin Turner put a lot of trial and error into the River Pro to get it to work perfectly with the Mercury sport jet, and it does. This boat was designed around this motor, not just a boat that was modified to install the motor.
    I don't think there is a better pump/motor combination for a boat of this size.
    I have no problem reaching 45 mph/gps in a matter of a few seconds and doing this with only an inch or two of the rear portion of the boat in the water. I have done many 360's in this boat at 30+ mph this boat literally turns on a dime.
    Before you kiss off jet boats altogether you had better take a ride in a River Pro.

16. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree jet is the way to go I guess I am just not sold on the sport jet yet. Maybe if I had a river pro instead of a tracker. There is no better feeling than cruising down the river and people looking at you wondering how and why you aren't hitting the bottom going 40 mph.

17. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I would like to thank everyone for posting. Jim, I would like to take you up on that offer. Pm me when you start chasin the cats.

Again, Thanks everyone
    Cody

18. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Touch base with me around second week of may, snaging starts 15 of march,
    and have cats spooked, untill end of April and give them a couple weeks to settle down. second week of May should be good to go.
    Jim

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was seriously looking at a RiverPro awhile back. The obvious attraction is being able to run shallow, but another great thing that seldom gets mentioned is safety.. Take off down the river in a conventional boat and there is always some risk that your lower unit will catch a hidden log or rock, destroying the motor, or in a worst case, pulling the transom out of the boat and sinking it. In the RiverPro you just don’t have to worry about that.

20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The riverpro really shines in the Mo. river. The cut-outs in the middle of the wing dams we run right thru. With a out board you are forced to go clear around the wing dam. Truman and most lakes are just as bad with trees and stumps just under the water, No worrys with this boat, we run right up along the bank. Ive been in Jims in every kind of weather. With its deep design it handles waves with ease.