Riverless Lake Catfish...

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Master Juggalo, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Master Juggalo

Master Juggalo New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    The link wouldn't load up!! The shad might still work, but you should probably find bait native to that body of water. Bluegills are a common forage food in almost everybody of water in the United States. Just put them on a hook live, or cut um up like you would a shad and use them as cutbait!!!

3. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Well, my thoughts on that are that we use shrimp, and both cured and fresh chicken livers, and all kinds of other things that are not "native" to the waters we fish in. Give it a try...can't hurt anything.;)

4. Master Juggalo

Master Juggalo New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have fished lakes where gills are illegal. Perhaps another native fish is legal, or maybe using goldfish or large shiners. I used to use waterdogs years ago and the cats really slammed them. Experiment and perhaps you will find the key that opens up the floodgates on bites.

6. cooterbrown

cooterbrown New Member

State:
    illinois
    I would say they will hit on them pretty decent ive taken the shad ive caught outta the river or lake and used them in ponds and tore em up we took and baited a trot line in one pond with cut bait shad on every other hook and cut blue gill on the other hooks and caught more on the shad and the blue gill was native tot he pond

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Try liver... the link still isn't working, but i would look for an area thats got a far slope to it next to one thats pretty flat... fish on the pretty flat section and cast sort of in the middle of the two sections

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Seems to me that much more than flatheads or blues, channels tend to vary widely in their preferences from one day to the next. I'd try the shad, along with a number of other baits, and always carry as wide a variety of baits as possible every time I went fishing. I mostly target blues, so when I tried cut bream and caught only channels, I didn't use it any more; but that sounds like a good bait for you to try.

9. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Crawdads! I've never seen a body of water that didn't have them in it. I've caught lots of good channels using them also.
    Good luck.

Paul

10. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    The link doesnt load up for me either.With not seeing the body of water I would gurss that crawdads or minnows would be there and good bait options.Chicken liver never hurts as a option as well.

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Yea the shrimp will work, we have a riverless lake here about the same size. I catch blues and channels on shrimp alot