Riverbank Fishing assistance...

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by pd701, Jul 9, 2009.

1. pd701

pd701 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been out to the River (both of them) several times, I don't catch fish. I have tried nightcrawlers, perch, skipjack,shad,goldfish. About the only thing I have not tossed yet is a low yeild explosive device (yet). I have read everything I can find both here and there. I've tried saying my prayers and may have made a pact with the devil. I've gone in the day and at night. Still no fish.
    I'm a visual learner and do best if somebody just shows me how to do something. So would somebody just take me to the river in the Saint Charles area on the riverbank and just show me how to catch a frigging catfish. Tell me what I'm doing wrong, and show me what gear I need to get it done? I can read about it all day long but it just don't sink in the way it does if I see and do it.
    Friday evening/Sunday evening would work great. I'm not much of a morning person. We can talk fishing, guns, bikes, gals, hell to learn how to catch fish I would even talk (listen and nod a lot) about baseball. I teach people how to shoot, so if one of you guys is a novice shooter or just wants to learn now to put holes in things with a pistol I'd be happy to return the favor. :)

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hi John,

It's been a tough year for a lot of folks with the water levels fluctuating so much. Don't get discouraged, you'll get into a good bite eventually. June and the first part of July are typically slow fishing also as the Cats are spawning. It should be picking up steam here in the next few weeks. Late July and August have been some of my BEST times fishing the river. Others have figured out the high-water Spring fishing but I have not yet.

Try to find some eddy areas, or reverse-current areas and get your bait in the current seam. Try to also look for feeder creeks, (the one just upstream from Blanchette landing looks like it might be good), short walking distance from the parking lot too. Once the dikes start showing again you may find some areas around those to fish but not sure if any are accessible from the bank. Outside bends in the river should typically have some deeper water also which is good for daytime fishing when the sun is beating down. Try shallow sand flats for night-time, especially if they are located next to deeper holes.

Next option.... BUY A BOAT!!!!:wink:

Welcome to the BOC!

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i have the same problem in rivers , generally dont catch alot and i think its due to being stuck on the bank, now give me a lake i catch fish from shore, dont understand why but i do good from the bank on a lake

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I can't speak about you,,, but a lot of folks only fish where the "trail" is.
    Just because it is easy to get to, and set up on, does not mean it is a good place to catch 'em.

Ya might eyeball a topo map of the area, get the bird's eye view with the Google Earth, then put boots on the ground and scout it out.

Think of it just like hunting, 'cause it really is the same difference.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Some good advice above John. I'm just now learning the rivers myself. Welcome to the BOC.

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishen the MO has been tough, shes been high and hard all spring. I struggle even to get good rod fish with a boat. Try hiting some of the smaller rivers in ya area. Or lake spillways. Sounds like ya usen baits and rigs and getting all the the right info. Hang in there it will get better in Aug and sept it will be off the chart, The rivers should be down some then and give a person a lot better options to fish. Ya know I fished all night last sun and all I got was a 15 lb blue and some gar. Try hitting bagnel or marktwain dam with shad guts the channels are off the nest and biten good. Or get in and fish howl island PM TheMadCatter about that one hes been fishen it.

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes thats true, but howell can test your patience more than most places. it sounds like your doing everything right it just seems that your timing is off, with the spawn in full effect. this dosent mean no fish are biting, but it does mean the ones that are biting are few and far between. id be happy to go out with you to see whats out there but all the places i go to regularly are sloooow. including howell island.

out of curiosity, have you been changing your depths of bait? i used to over look this simple thing, but welder really put it in my head that changing the depths your bait is suspended at can make a huge difference. instead of fishing off the bottom i tend to rig up each rod at different heights above the bottom, and one or two on it. when one gets action and others dont i proggresivly move them up from the bottom till they are all getting some action. you really have to learn how to determine what the situation is and learn to adapt to thier habits. do not assume just because you have a line in it will get action....make your own luck.

8. pd701

pd701 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm reading a bunch of good information, and I enjoy it. I read it, it makes sense but I fear I lose it in the application phase. Madcatter, I'd take you up on the offer to take me out. If you could show me how to rig for depth I would surely take the lesson.

9. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    can do buddy. id send you a pm but you need ten posts to recieve them. what part of mo are you in?

10. morivercatfisher

morivercatfisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey John I live in st.charles and fish alot on the missouri but with the high water havent been able to get out on many dikes to fish, I do know a couple decent spots try going down to 3rd street and 370 go past the dog park about a quarter mile after you pass the park theres a gravel parking area on a turn on right walk over katy trail through the woods straight to the river there should be a trail make a left when you hit the river and look for a dike my buddy caught a 20lb flatty on a bluegill there a week or 2 ago. I've been catching 5lb channels outtta lakes mostly on sonnys. Try using a dipworm with sonny stinkbait. Maybe the hwy 79 dam 20 minute from saint charles just go north on 79 look for lock and dam signs theres a slough there too. walk down the levee.

11. pd701

pd701 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    10 posts, hmmm here come the meaningless messages to up my post count. I live in North County but work near Wentzville.
    Great information guys, thanks.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey John,
    Don't feel too left out,,
    I've been skunked the past 5 or so times I've gone out... past month and a half..
    and, have heard reports from some of my "associates" that they've hit the wall of reality..as well.
    I'm looking forward to the end of July thru Oct!!
    Spawn's over, it's hotter than Heck, the mosquitos will be very nasty, the Flatheads will be Good!!
    Welcome to the BOC..:big_smile:

13. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    oh yeah buddy, im just in west county down by chesterfield mall. your so close im sure we can figure out something. we could try small or big river fishing, no garauntee we will get on them, with the spawn and all, but we can give it a shot.

14. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    So where are the KC Bank Fishermen at?

15. pd701

pd701 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would like that Mad, I've got three notifications so I'm working on my 10 posts. Will get it done soon. Thanks guys.

16. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Pd701 and Mad when ru guys going out maybe i can tag alone and we both can sho Pd701 how its done .

Welcome to the BOC brotha:cool2:

17. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    dont know when or where shawn, but i got no problem with that at all. but if we go down to the river front again im double checking my 4 wheel drive berfore i come out the this time.....lmao:smile2:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  18. pd701

pd701 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That would be great, went out tonight and got skunked. I'm getting used to it. One more post then I get messages wooofreakinghoooo

19. idahocatfisherman

idahocatfisherman New Member

State:
    idaho
    are you getting bites do you smoke i have all sorts of hypothesis and superstitions as to why and what i do when im bank fishing here in idaho, like i dont smoke while i fish. but i chew. since smoking leave a strong scent on your fingers and in them, while chew does not and can be rinsed off i also make sure my bait is dripping with liquid ike blood or oils from the bait allows for a better scent trail in the water. but these are just me oh and my hook is the last thing on my line

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh my GOD!!!!!! Now I can't (or shouldn't) smoke while fishing? You gotta be kidding me, right? A big 'ole hunk of bloody bait in the water and the catfish are going to turn away because it was touched by a smoker?????:smile2:

Don't be offended.....I'm just not buying that theory.