River

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by karodi, Apr 15, 2007.

1. karodi

karodi Guest

went to the river to meet up with Dale and Bill to do some prefishing for the gathering. Hit 3 spots total. My achors pop up on me so i decided to move one last time to a spot i lost a a big fish at last season. Baited up a nice 3 inch goldfish. casted out and went to bait up a bluegill and my clicker wents nuts. Set the hook after 20 min battle my lady netted a 17 lb flat. here's the picture enjoy. Keith

Attached Files:

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Nice fish Keith. I have been thinking I am going to head down there on the 1st and hang around checking things out from the shore unless Ray wants me to bring his small boat. Last time I hauled his boat the trailer lost a fender so he may not.
    Any way what day are you heading out?

3. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    That's a nice one, Keith!

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice keith. I will be out on the last weekend of the month hopefully. Good going on the flat and the networking. PEACE!

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Keith.... Nice looking cat..... "you say your anchors were popin up... just wondered what size did you have out?.... how many? how much rope out? just trying to check on the flow of the water... I have not had this new boat in the water at Mayflower landing yet.... sure I've been there with two other boats.... were you up by the fast water at the weir? or down below out in front of riverbudds place?

bayrunner ray

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Still have to put that new one on...... my buddy captn jack found one at Morgan craft boats..... we traded it to pay for his part of one of our latest rock cod trips.....

Got a new design to put it on.... That ole trailer (home made) does a lot of jumping and stuff going down old roads..... even at 55mph, which is not my normal "pulling my boat speed".....on roads like the "ole 99" is brutal on the equipment.... all the trucks that go down that road..... they try to keep it in shape, but there is "mucho trucks" traveling on it and that outside lane can have some "bad stuff" there.

Pm me and we'll talk about the up comming trip... or call the home...

bayrunner ray

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Last time it was comming back on I-5 but that right lane is so torn up from the heavy truck traffic that it's just like a wash board. And I'm not a fan of pulling a trailer at the 75MPH that is needed to keep from getting run over in the left lane so...

Ray, I have some plumbing projects that I have to get done today if I can, a couple of leaks to fix, a slow drain and a faucet and a couple of filters to replace so I have to make a trip to the Depot for parts. I hope I don't have to much trouble getting under the sinks. When I compleat my chores I'll give you a call.

8. karodi

karodi Guest

my achors pop up on when the river came up at about 930 at night. outside of that it holds pretty good in the current. It was real windy Saturday night. At my night spot it held no problem wind and all. I use a mighty mite achor off the front or sometimes i use train track. Keith

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    good going on the flaty keith, good to know the there starting to bite for the gathering think the water temp is going to stay above 65*, air temp should be in the mid 90s in a few weeks on a day to day basis

hey ray ya know a good welder to put them fenders on for ever,, lol

10. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Very nice! That is a beauty.

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice fish!!!
    I can't wait to get into that action.. Just a few more weeks!!!
    :eek:h: :eek:h:

12. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Super flattie!
    I wonder how Bill and Dale did? I visited Dale on Thursday and he told me he was heading to the river. I wish I could have been there. Where did you get the goldies? I might get some that way I don't have to worry about making bait all week. I never fished gold fish before, I wouldn't know what size of hook or where to hook them up. Did you hook them by the lips or the dorsal fin?

13. karodi

karodi Guest

I pick up my bait up at B and B bait on 6th street. I hook my goldfish behind the dorsal fin. I use 6/0 to 10/0 hooks depending on the size of my bait. see you at the river. Keith

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    been so long since i've fished for these big ones, and up around blythe with current. guess i'd best go pick up some larger hooks and weights.:eek:oooh:
    gary

15. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    You will be just fine up river Gary,a flathead is a flathead no matter where it lives.If you are staying at mayflower park it is very nice,as far as living outside in the desert in the summer goes.Free showers and lots of grass with shade all day if you get the right spots.Here are a couple fish i pulled from the spot north of mayflower.Good luck,
    Billy

Attached Files:

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice pictures. Hope to get into some this weekend.

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    think will need heavier weights though. current around yuma is much slower so have gone to all lighter weights. only thing i'm concerned with around blythe is not familiar with river and sandbars up there. but, got my shovel along, and partner to help dig boat off if need happens. :big_smile:
    getting front end of truck aligned today. last thing to do except load gear in friday night. see all up there sat.
    gary

18. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    Keith
    Nice flattie hope I can get one this year. I know a few spots around Niland but I have yet to get one. My buddy caught a very nice one in August 06 in my spot.. LOL

My time is coming..

Corey

19. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    luey and i got to blythe sat morning about 0900. everyone was out fishing, so set up camp. then ray and tom came in. introduced ourselves to them, got a few tips on where to go start, launched boat and headed upriver. caught the only two cats for luey and I. he got one channel about 1/2 lb, and i got one about 3/4 lb. came in early for a bbq and get together with rest of bunch. I'm horrible with names, but met all that was there, (or at least most of them) and had a great visit. river was dropping, so before bbq, pulled my boat out.
    after bbq, was tired, so decided to take nap. darn, forgot what it was like to sleep outside in tent. never went out fishing sat night. just slept. others went out, but heard fishing wasn't the best. didn't hear of any flatheads caught by our bunch.
    left sunday morning after breakfast and saying so long to most of them. luey and I drove south to bridge and launched in the snag area on AZ side of river for a few more hrs. no luck though.
    got home to yuma before 4:00.
    definetly am looking forward to another get together with all next time. only i'm taking at least 2-3 days for it next time. some are thinking of coming down to yuma area in next few months. hopefully will. i can show them around here and some of holes on the lower river.
    oh, was windy, but not too bad. temp was maybe in high 80 or low 90, but not uncomfortable.
    gary

20. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    hmm? did people make it home ok? no one is posting about this trip. good or bad, if you made it home and safe, was a good trip. let's here it folks.
    gary