River Too Low For Fishing??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by solomon, Jun 12, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Got a question for all you guys that fish a lot under different conditions. I fished yesterday for about 6 hours without a bite. This is not unusual, but the water is almost nonexistent. There are some holes, but little to no current. In places the river is 1-2 feet. Average 3-6 ft, with the occasional 12-15 ft hole. Water temp was 89 and the air temp was out of sight. It was very hot. I know you can still catch fish, but are the odds good enough to make it worth going. Did I mention it was HOT!! Kept burning my legs on the boat. It's about 30 miles to the launch and it's hard to run the river when it's that low. There's a lot of logs and stumps, etc. What advice do you have for these conditions. I don't like subjecting myself to that kind of heat if the fishin ain't that great.

2. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Every log, every stump that's in 3-4ft.+ of water
    I'd introduce a live bait or cut bait and be ready to go to war. One of those is holding a Big surprize just waiting on your offer. The problem is placing your bait so he doesn't have to swim to far out to get it. You'll probably loose some tackle but man when you find him he'll be a good one.:ah:
    Don

3. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What Shortshank said............put a bait in every potential holding spot. Don't fish a spot too long. Try not to spook them when you're anchoring/tying off. When the water is that shallow they'll be competing for structure. If you catch a good one off of one small structure you might as well move on to the next one. Unless the oxygen concentration has fallen off you should be able to catch something (easier said than done I know).

4. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Solomon, it's bad up here too. River is so low, that there is about a 10 foot boat drag from the end of the ramp to the river. No rain in sight.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    why has noone else suggested taking pictures and making sketches of different holes and configurations so that you know where the fishy areas are? i do that as much as possible when the water's low...

also i'd be fishing those 12-15 ft holes... the fish should be loaded up there... i wouldn't discredit the shallow areas esp around riffles though, they can be gold mines in low water as well... just keep at it...

why you'd run 30 miles to shallow water is beyond me, im sure there are places closer to launch that have good fishing as well but i don't know the river...

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Well the two closest boat ramps are 22 and 30 miles, and I have a key to the one that's 30. I like it because I know the river there, and there's always good people around to lend a hand if you need, and there's a gas station/bait shop across the street. I don't like leaving my truck at the other one.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love fishing low water conditions, maybe not the high temps you have there, but I still like it.

8. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I agree with you. Makes it a lot easier to find the fish.

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Guess I'm just gonna have to find a way to beat the heat. One of the guys in the MS River thread suggested an umbrella, and that just might be the way to go. I guess I never really considered the bigger fish still being there with the water temps so high and it being a lot more shallow than usual. I figured they'd be sunk down in a hole somewhere. I will take yalls advice and attack it from a different angle. Thanks guys.

Oh just wait til I tell my wife I need to be fishing more. I've already told her I wasn't going back til we got a rain. :crazy:

10. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Solomon,
    Think of the low water conditions like this. The low water restrict where the fish can be. There is no doubt in my mind the those deep holes you described in you first posting is full of fish. Keep in mind that a lot of factors effect when fish are active and how active. I also agree that the low current and heavy structure is an advantage if chasing flathead. Look to the outside bends especially those with heavy cover. Set up with you boat a cast distance above the head of the hole and cast fresh bait right to the edge and just over the edge. You'll find some action.