River terms

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ravenloft420, Apr 18, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    this is my first year ever hitting the rivers hard and Im confused by the terms used to describe areas to fish.

what is a "tail race" ?

what is "rip rap"?

what does oxbow mean?

there are a bunch others I cant think of at the moment.

also I dont have a boat and fish from the bank,is there any tricks to finding these types of structures without a depth finder?

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    what is a "tail race" ? water usually swift below a dam

what is "rip rap"? rocks used to control erosion

what does oxbow mean? old river channel fully or partially cut off from current

there are a bunch others I cant think of at the moment.

also I dont have a boat and fish from the bank,is there any tricks to finding these types of structures without a depth finder?[/quote]

3. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    I fished many years without a boat. I caught many fish over 30lb and some over 50 from the bank. I would fish bends in the river,log jams,structure,and around bridges. I would fish as much as I could in many different spots as I could to find the location of lots of fish. Confidence is the biggest tool when fishing and knowing the fish are there. The more you catch in a spot the more confident you get about a spot. It is safe to say that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. So if you catch one you can bet there is another. Making yourself believe a fish is in a spot or hole is hard if you have never caught one there. Because you cant see it on a fish finder doesnt mean fish are not there. Hope this helps and good luck.

4. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I almost exclusively fish from the bank. And sometimes its hard to find the things that everybody talks about where i fish. I did however find a castable fish finder that you tie on your line and cast it out and reel it back. It has a watch you wear that has the screen on it. The parts you cast out look like little submarines. Its not the best finder in the world but it works great when you come up to a hole and dont know were the cover is. You can find out pretty quik whether or not you think a certain spot holds fish rather than spending all day with no luck.Its made by hummingbird and its called the smartcast. I went to their website to register it and there they were. I didnt even know something like that existed until I went to west marine and asked the guy for the cheapest one he had. He went digging into the cabineets and came out with it and about 4 lbs of dust. It was only 69$ at the time so I got it. By far the best money ive spent on fishing gear. never leave haom without now. Oh and you can tow it behind a boat and do just like any other finder.

5. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You can find them at humminbird.com/productlines. they are under wireless remote fishfinders. Mine is the RF30, love it!

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    so how do you tell which way it is facing? also how big is the screen on the watch? sounds awsome!

7. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    try goin to the website.

8. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    so in idiot terms what does oxbow mean

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Old river channel... basically it's a body of water that was once part of the main river. Now it's separated by land. But that was pretty much explained the same already.

10. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    The two oxbow lakes in the picture below are old river channels. One is still connected to the river and water level fluctuates with the river. The other is regulated by a dam at the north end that is only utilized to remove water from the lake.

Attached Files:

11. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    The oxbow in the lower left corner of the picture above is the largest oxbow in the US. It is approximately 22 miles long. Lake Chicot in Lake Village, AR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chicot

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    andrew you can also look for ripples on the water these will let you know theres some type of structure on the bottom wether it be a log or rock the size of the ripple will tell alot if its small or large usually if theres alot of ripples its rocks and good to fish above or below if there back water or water spinning towards the bank in a clock wise turn theres an eddie also a good spot to fish it should be deep in places a good hide out from the current .

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    1). Tail Race- Thats the whitewater area directly below a dam. Very fast and turbid water.
    2). Rip Rap- Thats the banksides you see covered with large rocks. They bring in truckload after truckload and dump them on the muddy banks to keep the flood waters from washing them away every year.
    3). Eddy- thats a spot where the surface water can be seen moving in a circular motion and heads back up stream. It is caused by an obstruction of one type or another. If you watch you can see the floatsome (leaves,trash,foam, etc) moving aginst the current. Some are large some not. But the seam where the faster current going downstream meets the slower current of the Eddy going upstream is a holding place for all river fish, Bait and predators. Very good place to fish.