River temperatures

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by pylodictis, Oct 23, 2006.

1. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    hi, everyone.

this is only my second fall of fishing cats. i'd like to know everyone's thoughts on river temps. what are the best temps for channels, flatheads. what are the best cues for determining if the rivers will be at their ideal temps (air temp., coud cover, humidity, precipitation, barometric pressure, etc.)
    have we reached ideals, are we past them? when will the season likely end on the mon, allegheny, and ohio?
    thanks,
    -b

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    It is my first fall fishing too. Went out saturday the bite was really slow and nothing loaded up. oh well it was fun.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Once the water temp. drops below 50* the Flathead bite is about done as they head to the deep wintering holes and go into a semi-hibernation state. Channel Cats can be caught in colder water. I've even caught a few ice fishing over the years, don't expect fast action however! Due to the high water conditions I have not been out on the Allegheny in the past couple weeks but my guess is the water temp. is in the 40's!:sad2:

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The flathead bite out here in Philly has died for about 3 weeks now. Really sucks to have to wait until spring.