River temperature info online for ohio?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by bill_gfish, Feb 18, 2006.

1. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    I am wondering if there are any websites that list water temps for rivers. Mainly interested in the maumee river temps. I have looked but can't find anything. I have found lots of flows but no temps. Any help is appreciated.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just looked up your area on this site....http://water.usgs.gov think your S.O.L., nothing around you with a temp guage. luckily the great miami has ONE temp station.

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it would be great if the flow/level guages also gave the temps. That would help out a lot for a lot of fishermen

4. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    We get all kinds of water level and temperature readings on the Upper Mississippi from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineer websites at each of the dams. This is the link to the website at lock and Dam #2 located at Hastings, Minnesota. http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/projects/Lock2.shtml

This is the link to the water level and temperature for the St Croix River which is the primary river I fish. http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/dcp/STLM5.html You may want to surf these links and see if they have any stations in your area.

5. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thanks to fellow BOC brother Fish Geek, Matt was able to point me to this sight for details on water conditions around our area.

The below is an example of the data I was able to find on line. scroll down to the bottom and see the graphs. This river runs the border between MN and WI

The USGS Water Science Center in Wisconsin operates two gages on the St. Croix that
    also have water temps.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mn/nwis/uv?format=gif&period=30&site_no=05340500

thanks
    Larry

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    guys ,drop the usgs site a line and ask. there are guaging stations with temps scattered around. not all of them are posted on line though. i found one somewhat near me. the guy was real cool and added it to the site perrameter the next day!

so, dropum a line n see.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I sent an E-mail to the usgs site awhile back looking for muskingum water temps. They sent back a note saying they had no temp sensors at any of the gauge sites on the river. And had no plans to add any. Said It was too expensive. ???? I cant understand why thats the case. They could get by with a couple, and give us some idea what's going on without too much expense.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well it was worth a try!

9. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    I also sent an email about river temps. around the Defiance area and they said they haven't had water temps there since the 70's I beleive. I think I have it figured out anyhow, I can get upstream temps and downstream temps so a happy medium in the middle i suppose. :)

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    make sure to take into consideration if there are Dams in between your reading points. That can sometimes throw the downstream temps way off. (usually a lot cooler if its a big dam dumping water). Feeder streams and rivers can have a minor affect sometimes.

11. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Actually I never considered that, thanks. I believe there are several low head dams in both directions. In the email he did say you can just about guess the water temps by what the air temp has been for the last few days.

12. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    46 degrees at Madison, IN last Friday

13. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Maumee Tackle in Maumee, Ohio is reporting 42 degrees this morning.

14. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    45 deg yesterday on the river in williamstown wv.

15. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    All that rain weve had & cool temps will set it back down for a while Im afraid.