River Strategy for Blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 8, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    The challenge is trying to figure out where they are feeding as quickly as possible so similar spots can be covered and time is not wasted in unproductive water. Time just goes way too fast anyway!

Wondering what others think about the most efficient approach to first locating where the feeding fish are on rivers:

* First thoroughly cover all areas each time out (holes,runs,channel,OSB,ISB,etc..)close to where put in (save gas,time) and then expand to other similar areas based on that.

* Stick to a seasonal holding pattern location search and cover alot more water passing up certain areas between within that big stretch.

* Let time of day/water conditions totally dictate strategy covering more areas of that same type water.

* Let baitfish locations dictate.

* Figure blues may only be active in areas separated by many miles of water and cover large amt to find them.

Time of day,current water conditions and season usually being big part, but its the general strategy given those conditions that I want to improve.

I try to have a game plan well ahead given the time of day, season, weather and where I have been productive lately and try to change accordingly when there,but when not productive leave feeling that approach could have been improved-I didnt work this cover and maybe should have instead of traveling that far (?).

Guess I might be wondering too if I take a 2-mile stretch say for instance then should a bite be found within that stretch if all the likely locations they would feed at be fished thoroughly?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I guarantee it. And if you fish the unlikely locations you will often find fish there as well. There is not a 1 mile stretch anywhere on the Ohio where I can't catch a catfish if I try. They might not always be big but there will be fish there that are catchable. Vern

3. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Over on anyother topic Paladin (Jim H.) got me thinking and I suddenly realized how little weight I put on the "type of baitfish being predated and where they typ hold up" to determine where to target after normal game plan is not producing.
    You would think these fish being the "borgs" they are would be easier to figure out, but they sure keep ya guessing!:big_smile:

If it were key then working a small stretch of river first to figure baitfish preference seems wise.

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    not that I am an expert by any means, but current (generation ) dictates a large part of where I am looking for key holes/structure. When current is really kickin pretty good I go to the holes in bends, whereas if its slower sometimes log type structure or deep deep water near dams/spilllways produces nicely. Just what works for me tho.

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Hi chris,
    Im no expert either, but great minds fish alike dont they.

What type of log and structure can you expand please. You thinking they are feeding on particular fish there? You mention "generation" as opposed to just rising from rain I take it. cool.

Thanks.

6. Penn209

Penn209 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ok OnlyRiverFish: The weather is gonna be awesome today and tomorrow. I am fully expecting a fishing report from you when you get off the water after a 48 hour stretch. You better have a ton of coffee with you. LOL. Good luck hunting for Mr. Big. I know your relentless in your pursuit, and now that you've raised the bar, you won't be satisfied until you find a triple digit fish. Good Luck smashing the state record. If anyone's gonna do it, my money's on you. :cool2:

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    The Logs don't even have to be permanent. Sometimes jam ups will happen where a few logs may be there a month or two then more rapid current could take it away. I think heavy rain takes smaller fish closer to structure and thus the cats follow in suite.

8. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    and by structure I mean humps n' holes. Mostly humps... loooove those humps. a 1ft. mounds is a fish magnets

9. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Quit early (for me) and fish seemed lock jawed. No bites at all. The wind was relentless water 69.7 (9/15/06). Did have time to scope alot of new structure in same old places just alot more thoroughly than ever before.
    Spent many excellent hours messing with sonar units settings.

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Very smart chris,
    Some of my best baitfish tosses are next to some type of cover be it wood,docks,banks and other. Never thought of doing it on high water right next to the wood esp where deep water is next to it.
    Need more work on my high water tactics though and know it-part of that is stubborn preferred methods rather than knowing. So your tip is very appreciated.

I structure fish my river channel hardest as opposed to working the obvious current breaks like dikes and such. I have found that running sonar on highest zoom shows what can be totally missed as you obviously know it doesnt take much to be a current break or bait magnet and running sonar normal misses it. Those who zoom to find those locations find it easy to see that there is sooooo many valleys for them to just lay in-wow. In my river they are everwhere.

I am finding more structure locations in previously overlooked (I concidered structureless) water that consists of humps and each one may hold fish that I now have to start working smaller sections as there isnt enough time to even look at them all-let alone drop a line. Hence this threads topic - methods to pattern blues preferred structure on any given day per river conditions that would eliminate fishing water they likely are not using.

Since I am only blue fishing this year been staying out of holes figuring the flatheads will be occupying them as fall comes. Still checking some and esp outer edges, but...

Cuz and others posted some excellent structure advice while back on a thread.

11. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Yep feel same way.
    I also feel and bet you do too that ther are so many fish tucked away in the structure that no fisherman can fish them out ahead us. Yeah the obvious ones in the obvious locations, but they may not be the biggest anyway and there are fish in other locations that one knows where to look and the other doesnt. One understands that areas structure better and or can get to the best feed location faster.

Not to mention we each use slightly different approaches,baits,methods, etc...,

So I take it you believe best approach is to work smaller stretch to determine a pattern then expand?