River Steelhead lures

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by kat buster, Jul 31, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    :0a21: Ok will some one please tell me how to fish for steelhead in rivers. Do I use spoons or crank baits or soft plastic.

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey I have fished for steelhead all over the Great lakes with a fly rod but am around enough of the spin guys to tell you that spoons take one heck of a lot of fish when there fresh , active and still eating! ( just like salmon) Remember a steelie has to eat all through his spawn because he needs strength to go back out to the big water after the spawn so mimmicking Alewives and stream baitfish is top notch, I like Blue and chrome Little Cleos, KO Woblers and lastly Krocodile spoons, vary sizes but the Blue/Chrome and all chrome will be your best producers, also be sure to bring some plain Mepps Aglia spinners, size 2 or 3 with silver blade,

Good luck and were planning our trip this Sept to the Soo for pinks and chinooks and cohos as a change since we usually hit the Pere Marquette each year but I hate to say it but the kings get old after a while, and are pretty easy to catch with well presented fly's, I need a new challenge!

Tight lines and remember to Bow to the Jumpers , especially the manistee strain

Salmonid

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Im thinking of pulling a few nights on the Pere Marquette during the run this year. Anyone else interested? Its like free salmon out there! LOL Plus its super-cheap to do.

wooooo-hoooo run baby run!

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I'd do that at least once, let me know!

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I usually flyfish for em' but on a spinning outfit I would use an egg cluster or something very similar. Ask whats on where your going. HTH.

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I'm sure everyone has their favorite, but I like spinners for wading in the river.
    Lots of flash & vibration, pretty slow retrieve speed possible, and you can control the depth of the retrieve pretty easily.

7. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I had great luck this spring on Hot n Tots. In clear rivers natural colors like rainbow trout are best. In dingy water something brighter like orange/gold or anything flourescent. I remove the 2 factory hooks and replace only the rear one with a Mustad Triple Grip. Helps to keep the snags down to a minimum and does'nt hinder the hook up % at all.You almost can't help but hook yourself while handling the bait.I fished these baits this Spring in ultra clear water less than a foot deep and watched Steelhead get hooked as they tried to just bump them out of the way. The Hot n Tots seem to really annoy steelhead, they may tolerate one wiggling inches from their snout for 1 minute or more, then they just can't take it any more and either slam the bait or just try to move it. They will do the same thing with a spinner. Retrieving a spinner directly downstream just a little faster than the current through deep runs is always effective. The bait stays near bottom and gets right in the fishes face. When steelhead fishing on any river I'd have with me.....

1. Panther Martin silver blade, yellow body with red dots
    2. Mepps silver blade and gold blades as well as some flourescent blades
    3. Selection of Hot n Tots and Rattle Tots in various colors
    4. A few colors of yarn to make yarn flies streamside by snelling a small piece on the hook shank.
    5. Slip bobbers and small jigheads on which to place wigglers or wax worms.
    6. Digital camera.

Dan

Attached Files:

8. I gotta wet my whistle on some of those steelhead. Now I know what to use.

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Tony, its on. Ill be glad to make a night out of the Pere Marquette with ya. If anyone else wants to go.... just pipe up! This will happen in September guys. Im sure we will ALL know when the run is on.

Im all fired up today.

Im tying my egg patterns today and just letting the excitement simmer.

10. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    what type of line weights should I used for Steelhead?

11. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan

personally, i like to go as light as feasably possible. i usually run with 6 lb. but if the water is really snag filled i will bump up to 10lb. always use a florocarbon leader tho.

12. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    sal thats up my way isnt it? I will be in Mn for a week in sept. I think the 14th if ya go before then Im in