river sinker to no roll conversion

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by restorerancientiron, Nov 7, 2009.

1. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I am a tinkerer and a tight wad so lets get that over with first thing.I have always used river sinkers with the no.2 brass eye.I have an older reading cast iron mold from 3/4 - 2 ounce.I also have a couple of do-it river sinker molds the 2-3-4 ounce model and the 5-6 ounce model.I use these mostly on sinker slides.I have recently read from this site about the popularity of no-rolls.I decided to modify my molds to accomadate this till I decide If I need to spend the extra 40.00 per mold.Here is what I done.I first tried this on my smaller mold with a 1/32 groove cut through the middle.I have a tig welder and so I used the same size tig rod for the pins.I used a milling machine to do this by trying to get it as close to possible to the center.This worked ok but the hole was a little smaller than I like.I then modified the larger one by using a 3/32 ball nose end mill.I was afraid that the sprue would be bad but it worked out fine.Here are some pics showing how it works.So far I still like my sliders better though ,but they are more trouble to rig.

Attached Files:

2. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Here are more pics showing the smaller size 2-3-4 ounce and a pic of south bend sinker slides I like to use.I like their locking snap better than any I have seen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A great idea Dennis. Thanks for sharing. Library material. Reps.

4. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    You do not have to have a milling machine for this to work.The first one I used a hacksaw blade to get the groove started then used a small round needle file to finnish.If you do one side then put in your wire and slowly close it will transfer the center line to the other side.Just be careful not to spring it by pushing to hard.Also the 3/32 tig wire pins are the same as the do-it egg sinker molds.They do not work as well but at 5.00 a piece for do-it these are alot cheaper.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Great idea, i like it....it gives you the availability to pour two sinkers in each slot also. theoretically you can carry half the amount of sinkers that way, and be prepared for two very different rigs... well done...

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I think that is a great idea Because, You like the disc sinkers, right...well maybe one time you want to use a disc and you have them then the next place you go fishing you want to use a no-roll you have the disc sinlers with the hole so that you can use the disc for a no-roll also!!!

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol i like the river sinkers best of all and the only mold i have is a no roll so i use carter pins in my no roll so i can use it on a sinker slide like the river sinkers good fix you come up with

8. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Thats a good idea , I have heard of people using cotter pins in the river sinker eye as well.

9. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa
    Great idea! :worship: