River Shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Arkie55, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ok, a question for the experts on Shad. I fish a river with no dams, spillways, or running creeks feeding it. The river is classified as a moderate sized river with a average depth of around 7'. Several sandbars but no gravel bars. No rock sholes. Now I understand about Shad feeding on zooplankton and I understand how zooplankton is formed (bloom). I know in a lake the wind blows the zooplankton and the shad follow. What about a river? Where is the most likely place to find shad in a river without a dam? Back water? down current side of sand bars? Where you look and where would you cast you net? Oh, one other thing. The river is the color of creamed coffee almost year round. And yet, it contains shad.

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Wow, thats a tough one!
    The places you already mentioned seem the most likely.
    The back water areas in the morning and evening seem best to me.

Is it the Black River your talking about?

Hopefully, someone with the experiance on a simular river will pop in here and let us all know the scoop.

3. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I would go out in the early am an look for then when you see the water flicking (lil splashes) that will most like be your shad try not to make much noise and turn off your boat motor noise scares em off

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I have some small rivers around me that sound pretty similar to yours. I always follow the wind for shad even on a river. There's not near as much wind on a river but there's still some. I look for big bends in the river where a good South or North wind is blowing. You also metioned no feeder creeks running, does this mean there's no feeder creeks on this section of river or simply there's no water flowing into the river from these creeks. I still catch a majority of my shad in rivers from old oxbows and very small feeder creeks that have no current running. Even with all that being said I'll still motor my boat for miles if needed to look for shad flipping at the surface. They seem to move as much as the blues around here and you may have to travel a good distance to find them and then the catfish should be there as well. Good Luck

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    question? how do you know there's shad in there? have you caught them before?

With out knowing anything else about the river... look for the slowest spots, a deep hole, eddy, anything that causes the water to slow... Throw your cast net there...

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yes, I have caught shad in the river. My problem is the water is so stained you can't see the schools. Once in a while you will see a flip of a shad but not often. I know there in there. What I want to know is how to locate the larger schools of shad. The one's I've caught has been in a very large eddie.

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Terry alot of times right about dark the shad are all over the sandbars. I've seen alot of guys fishing the black get out of a boat and walk out in the water and start casting a cast net on the back side of sandbars. Any of the shallow sandbars or mud flats are covered with shad at night. I'm almost willing to bet they are there during the day too as most of the guys i see that is where they are throwing there nets.