River Rolling Over

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Oct 15, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    How many of you has ever heard of a river rolling or turning over. I know that lakes and ponds will and do sometimes ,but I have never heard of a river doing it. Anyway the reason I ask this Someone was telling me that the consevation dept was saying that this is the 11th year and that the river (Mississippi) is rolling over and that is way the fishing has been bad this year. They say it should be good next year. They also said that is why we were catching so many small channels (lighter size) and why there was so many shad this year.
    My self I had never heard of a 11TH Year. How about you all what do you think?

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I have never heard of a river rolling over either, especially one as big as the mississippi:confused2:

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Never heard of water that has current doing that. AS the current will mix the water from top to bottom.
    But if that is what is happening. That may be what is wrong here also.
    Pete

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    never heard of that but im no bioligist , i do find it hard to believe tho

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    when ive heard of the river turning over around here, it means the moss on the bottom is turnin loose and floatin to the top. it is less evident in larger rivers because of the current i guess washin the stuff downriver instead of like around here where the rivers are small and have so many private dams that the vegetation that is on top makes it look like you could almost walk across it. old timers round here say its a good time to fish when the rivers turnin over.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I never heard of such a thing!But I can attest to the fact that the fishing season for me was a disaster.I couldn't even buy a bite,no matter what I used for bait.Now I know the Missouri has fish in it,but they sure didn't corporate this season.Last really good hookup I had was summer of 2005.My bait was freshbloody beefliver with a nightcrawler.I was helping my girls with their rigs when my pole hit the rock with a loud WHACK!!Man I don't know what it was but i can attest to the fact it was big,snapped my 20 pound test like it was a speghetti string! Wish so bad I could have at least got a picture of him.Thats what I call fishin!!:sad2:

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    A friend of mine works and is in charge of the Clarksville Dam and if I think of it Thurs night I'm gonna ask him .He'll probably think I'm nuts. I know I looked at the guy that told me that like he was NUTTS.Still don't believe him and most lkely won't till I'm told that from The Corp of eEngineers. They should know if anyone does. . YEah RIGHT!!

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi John, I have noticed plenty of moss turning loose around here, ( Keokuk)and a lot of it coming out of the Des Moines river. I am curious though and hope you can find an answer for us Big river boys. Later Andy

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i couldnt find anything on a river turning over except the tributaries
    sloughs and resevours that are connected maybe have a thermocline similar to a lake or pond. or possibly a very slow moveing river maybe,
    i would be interested to find out what he meant.
    keep us informed john .