River Rising/Lowering

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by snifflucky, Jan 22, 2006.

1. snifflucky

snifflucky New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was wondering if anyone of you had a preference when fishing a river?

While it was rising, while it was falling, or at a steady stage.

I have heard that while a river is rising, that is the best time for the fish to bite. And was also told while the river lowers, you have a hard time catching fish. Is there any truth to this?

If so why?

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    In areas not far from where I live, some of the boat ramps and parking lots will flood, and people will be catching catfish from the road! While the pavement is wet you can see worms coming out of the cracks. I imagin rising water washes alot of food into the river that would not otherwise be available! A feast for catfish! I think I will go give it a try!

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I pretty much fish in the same areas that Deltalover fish in, and I agree with him 100% - because I've seen it!
    :0a23:
    With that being said, I love to fish in the rising water - but all I really care about is moving water when I'm river fishing (incoming tide or out going tide). Moving water is the key thing for me. :)

:0a26:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Rising water, and at steady level especially in the spring. I have also noticed that when the water ireachs a stedy level and starts to clear is good time to be fishing. I am going to give the rising muddy water a shot tomorrow.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Falling water is in my opinion the hardest conditions to catch catfish..I prefer slowly rising, or steady flows.

6. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    I would have to agree with everyone else. Being a tournament guy I am forced to fish when the water is lowering a lot of the time. The only place I can get fish to bit when it's lowering is in or next to the main current where it's deeper. I think the fish go as deep as they can when it's lowereing

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I try to hit the water when the water's rising.

8. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Falling levels in our rivers usually mean ZERO fish ... Rising waters can be a bonaza ...:) .... THE CATKING !!! :cool:

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i personally like steady water levels, its easier to pattern fish and predict their movements. rising water is great but i fish a small river mostly and its hard to catch it on the rise before it starts falling again. when it starts falling a lot of the fish usually have their bellys full anyway. they will still bite but you have to move and find them. when its rising the fish will move to the very front of the holes, then when the current gets really strong theyll move to slacker water. when its falling i usually find them in the core or rear of a hole where it starts getting shallow again. now when its at flood stage or really high i do have problems finding the flatheads, but channels seem to be everywhere. but as for falling, rising, or steady, its all about location.

10. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i like to fish the river when its rising, but i dont like it when its high. There s a lot of rip raft in the water that gets stuck and your line. i havnt had much luck when its falling.

11. IndianaBanana

IndianaBanana New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In the 50's , all the old river rats that scraped out a living from the river claimed a rising river was best. I tend to agree especially if you are fishing nets or trotlines. For handlining, I always liked the Wabash when it was low, a foot or less, then fished the holes with shiners.

" God doesn't count the days against you that you spend fishing "

12. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    I have found that the fishing has been great under both circumstances. When the rivers are rising or high< I have good lunk in the rivers main channel and creeks,But when they are falling I find that I catch more big cats at the mouths of the creeks and tributaries. two years ago the Ohio river stayed high about 10 days and I hooked a 25# Blue in my favorite creek in janurary. soI try to determine which situation is best for me at the time.

13. fishguts

fishguts New Member

State:
    Illoinois
    Rising water = Fish shallow! and hang on!

14. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    I agree with everyone else. The best time to fish is when water is rising. I like to fish small edies and flats downstream of ripples. Try using baits that are natural to your waterway. I fish mainly the Tippecanoe which has an extreme amount of crayfish in it and when the water is rising crayfish get flushed out of the ripples and pushed downstream. this makes for a feeding frenzy but i have had many times that the only bait that would produce cats is crayfish (or whatever is in natural abundance and the fish are already feeding on).

On the otherside of this when the water is falling try fishing the downstream side of deep holes where their is alot of cover available. Downsize your rig cut everything in half compared to what you usualy use line size, weight. hooks. and bait.

Good luck!