River Rigging for Flatheads in Cover

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by DH84, Apr 23, 2009.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Im looking for some good tried and true methods to getting flatheads out of thick cover with out loosing any more rigs then possible.

I know about slip bobber rigs and I think that will work well, also using short leaders to minimize bait movement into snags.. another good way ive heard is a 3 way with a lighter line to the sinker so it can be broke off saving a rig.. so whats your "go-to" rig for catching river cats in heavy cover?

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    abu garcia 7000c3 50#mono and a tight drag and hold on

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Having live bait on a short leader has always been a good tactic for me, but doesn't always help if you are casting well into the middle of a nasty snag. Even then having a sacraficial sinker on a 3-way rig does little to help. Other than floats, 3-way rigs and short leaders I don't know of many more ways to save tackle. Sometimes losing tackle is the price we pay to land that "monster"

I have wondered though--since circle hooks have the hook point turned in toward the shank if it made them less likely to snag on stuff? Just a thought.

4. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    this is true, Ive heard people say "if your not losing rigs, your not fishing in the right spots" just trying to get the best way to fish these areas efficently.

ive thought about circles to and i use them exclusively everywhere else, but usually when im using them i let the fish eat the bait and leave with it for a short period of time before tightening down on them.. in this case i believe a Kahle might be better so you can set the hook immediatly before he hangs it up..

ive always had bad luck gut hooking fish with anything but a circle though, kahles included..

-bnorth i like your profile quote

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    unless im fishing day time i fish just out side of the cover.the cats will leave to find food so i get them just before dark and just before daylight.fishing day time i just put up with the hang ups and hope for the best.

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I use fish finder rigs a lot but not if you're tossing over a log and into some junk. Then it's just sinker, hook and nothing else. Cutbait won't wrap you around a stick while trying to "escape."