River rig for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigbadaaron, Apr 1, 2007.

1. bigbadaaron

bigbadaaron Guest

favorite river rig for flat head anyone

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    aaron, Do you really want to learn how to catch big Flatheads? I can answer any question you may have. But you will have to be a tad more specific.

3. bigbadaaron

bigbadaaron Guest

fishing at rock river over by a dam with lots of deep holes rocky bottom powerful current
    so whats your favorite rig for these conditions

4. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Three way rig with weight on the bottom. Use a three way swivel or a single swivel with the line from the reel tied to one eye of the swivel ....a drop line of lesser lb. test on the same eye..with a weight... then attach another length of line with a hook on it to the other end of the swivel.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If it's rocky like you say Goerges rig works fine. If you want a slip rig, just run your main line through the eye of a swivel, put on a bead of some sort, tie the main line to another swivel, then tie on your leader, then your hook. So it goes Hook,Leader,Swivel,Bead,Swivel. To the open end of the top swivel you can tie on a 12 inch length of mono as a dropper line, in say 12lb test. use this to tie onto a 3 or 4 OZ bank sinker. Cast as far upstream as you can and let the rig fall and move with the current till the sinker snags in the rocks. Try to keep in contact with the sinker as it falls, once it snags reel in any slack till the leader swivel contacts the dropper swivel. Now it will hold till a big flattie rips it free or breaks the dropper line. You may need to experiment with the dropper length due to larger or smaller rocks. If you have VW beetle size rocks you may need a longer dropper, lol. But this rig will let a flat pull line off your clicker without moving your sinker.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i use only 2 rigs for flatheads. mostly use a slip rig with 3-4 oz. tire weights. you need a big enough sinker to keep the bait from swimming into a snag. the other rig is a balloon tied onto the line over the weight of the same slip rig. i use a balloon because it is big enough to float the tire wieghts. this rig lets me drift baits( cut and live ) along the bank or into jambs. i mite add that im a real cheapskate hence the tire weights and balloons. lol

7. j-catfish

j-catfish New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use a no roll sinker ,2 oz, to a swivel. then tie on a leader and a hook

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A three way swivel rig, or a slip float rig.