River Report 7-9-09

Discussion in 'NORTH DAKOTA RIVERS TALK' started by CaptainBrad, Jul 9, 2009.

1. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The river opened back up on Monday after the short high water period. I was out looking at things last night and everything is looking like an excellent summer is ahead. The fish are in or nearly done with the spawn. Saw a really nice pig come out and a few smaller ones.

As levels stabilize over the next couple days fishing will get better and better. I talked to 2 guys from the Fargo area that said the past 2 days have been great. Their water has been steady for about a weeks so it will only get better to the north over the next week or so.

2. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    To say the fishing is gangbusters would be a stretch. Ask most of the people fishing if they had any luck at all and you would get a big NO. Fish hard (move every 15 minutes without a bite) keep the bait fresh and go in the fast current looking for aggressive fish and you will find the ones you are looking for.

We had lots of luck doing this over the weekend and when the dust settled we caught our fish while everyone else was left wondering what happened to all the fish.

Lesson- Keep on the move and be willing to adapt.

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Brad,

Thanks for the update!

I was supposed to go to Drayton this weekend for the tourney there, though they postponed till August 15th due to high water.

I was able to get into the Cats Incredible this year. I know it is a little far off, though what do you think the conditions will be like?

I will be getting up there Monday and pre fishing for a few days just to get the hang of the area.
    Fishing has been tough this year on the Upper St. Croix also, though our conditions here have been drought, not flood.
    Thanks for the updates.:0a31:

4. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    Dave, The water levels are fine. I don't know why Drayton canceled but it worked out for me as now I think I am going to fish that tournament. Conditions for Cats Incredible look to be pretty good. The fish are in full spawn now but should come out in the next week or two. I caught 2 post spawn on Sunday (good sign)

I am a volunteer official for Cats Incredible. Look me up when you get to town. See you then

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the info! I will look you up when we get up there.

I think the Drayton tourney got postponed cause the ramp and parking was still under water last Friday and they had to make a judgement call.
    Oh well, It turns out it will work better for me also.

6. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    After that little spat with cold weather it appears the catfish are back on and the bite is getting better and better each day. Should bode well going into the late summer.

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds like good news to me!

I have a local tourney to attend this Saturday/Sunday and then were heading up your way Monday morning to get settled in and do some pre-fishing for a few days.

8. LUNKERCAT

LUNKERCAT New Member

State:
    north dakota
    DID ANYONE ATTEND THE DRAYTON TOURNEY THIS WEEKEND? IT LOOKED LIKE THERE WOULD BE GREAT CONDITIONS. LIKELY SOME MONSTERS WERE CAUGHT. WILL BE THERE THIS FRIDAY & SATURDAY. CAN'T HARDLY WAIT AS ITS MY ONLY TRIP OF THE YEAR TO THE RED.
    LUNKERCAT

9. LUNKERCAT

LUNKERCAT New Member

State:
    north dakota
    I AND MY 2 BROTHERS HAD A GREAT TRIP TO DRAYTON LAST WEEKEND (20-22 AUGUST). WE DEALT WITH THE USUAL RAIN/MUD CONDITIONS THAT USUALLY OCCUR WHEN I VISIT DRAYTON. CAUGHT AND RELEASED 34 CATS. BROUGHT A DIGITAL SCALE THIS YEAR TO CONFIRM SOME WEIGHTS. BIGGEST WAS 23 LBS (36 INCHES). ALSO A 21 POUNDER AND SEVERAL MORE IN THE 17-18 LB RANGE WITH THE REST GOING FROM 6-12 LB RANGE. MOST CAUGHT ON LIVE FROGS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF FRIDAY WHEN FISHING ABOVE THE DAM, WE HAD BEST LUCK ON CUT GOLDEYE. NO FISH ON CUT SUCKER. ENJOYED THE SCENERY AND ABUNDANT RAPTORS THAT INHABIT THE RIVER. SAW LOTS OF BALD EAGLES AND PRETTY SURE WE SAW SOME OSPREYS. LIGHT RIVER TRAFFIC EVEN ON SATURDAY. COULD BE THAT THE POOR CONDITIONS LAUNCHING AT THE DOWNSTREAM RAMP MIGHT BE KEEPING SOME PEOPLE OFF THE RIVER. ALL IN ALL A GREAT TRIP, THOUGH NOT AS MANY FISH AS LAST YEAR.
    LUNKERCAT