River ready??

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Kyle, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Alright so I've never fished the Mighty MO -yet- but I'm getting ready. I've spend most of my time fishing the Ozarks,Smithville, Truman, and other local favorites.. mainly because I never had a boat to put on and explore the river. I got a 18" 93' Champion which is fiberglass so I never wanted to put it on the river, anyways last time I was home on leave I bought me a 16.5" flatbottom with a 75 hp Merc on it, and didn't have time to fish out of it just put it in the water and made sure it ran (which it does, well - that merc really pushes it!). Anyways, I'm getting ready to come back to Kansas City for good and I had my dad fix the trailer for me just this weekend, (it was the first time he's seen the boat) and he says he isn't sure if the boat is big enough for the river. I think it is, but like I said I never been on the river, and was hoping you all could offer your opinions, here are some pics of her...thanks in advance for any input.
    Kyle
    (hopefully I got the pics attached right...)

2. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    sorry about that, let me give it another shot here..

Attached Files:

3. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Kyle, you got yourself a really nice river boat. I fish the Missouri in a 15 ft Lowe and have never had any problems. You might want to find someone who has ran the river before to show you how to safely navigate. Check out the U.S. Corps. Navigation Charts online for the stretch you are planning to fish. Have fun and Good luck.

4. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Thats reasureing, thanks. yeah I just got some maps from the corp of engineers. Thanks again!

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you should be fine just remember to be respectful of the water and watch your speed , speed is what usually gets people in trouble . take your time and follow the fish/depth finder you will learn to navigate just fine . usually if the water is choppy on top theres a reason such as shallow water or some other obstruction near the top steer clear of these spots till you know them better . good luck

6. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Nice Boat! I'm looking for a Lowe Big John, 16 footer with a wide bottom. Did you see anything like that when you where boat shopping. I have a 25 h.p. and trailer, just need the boat.

7. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Rootwad, actualy I didn't do much shopping, I drove past a bait shop down in the Ozarks, and seen it for sale - too good of a deal to pass up ($1,000) so I bought it. I know Cabelas in KC sells just boats (without motor/trailer) but their usualy overpriced..I'll let ya know if I see anything. Good fishin to ya

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Kyle, your 16.5 flatbottom should handle the river just fine and a 75 hp Merc is plenty of engine. Most accidents are from people so be safe out there. With a smaller boat situations like large chop from wind or being sideways in fast currant is what you want to avoid or take caution of. My recommendation would be to bring an extra prop along, lets just say this ole river rat knows the prop repair shop people on a first name basis. :lol: Other than that enjoy your time out there, I love it on the river and in the last 2 years have put over 300 hrs on my engine just on the rivers. Get maps, explore it, the more you learn of it the more you’ll want to be out enjoying it.

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Nice looking boat. I use a 17' boat w/75hp with no problem on the Mississippi. Be carefull, moving water is a lot different than still water. My approach is to carefully explore where you're going to fish w/depth finder at slow speed. Only time I get up to speed is in the navigation channel then watch closely for floating trees, etc. Have fun!:big_smile:

10. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Thanks Kyle. Good luck with your new boat. I think you will be fine on the Missouri. My neighbor runs the Missouri quite a bit with a Lowe Big John boat and a 25 h.p. motor. He gets along good. I do not think you will have any trouble.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Kyle...$1000.00 bucks!! WOW what a deal...good for you man! You'll be fine on the river with that boat...You'd be suprised at some of the vessels i've seen on the river...a couple of em i wouldn't feel safe in on a pond!! Welcome home and good fishin to ya!

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Kyle ,I have a 17 ft tracker with a 25 merc. i am on the river at lexington missouri all the time ,your boat will work good just take your time the first time out and learn the river ,outside bends are always the deepest most of the inside bends are 2 ft deep 30 feet from the bank .You can go to the us corp of engineers site and learn the navigation markers they are the same ones the barges use ,they will be useful.what part of the river are you fishing?