River Rat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catmaster, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I saw a outboard boat they call the RIVER RAT in last years CATFISH INSIDER. I read that it can run in like only 6" of water. Does anyone have one? If so what do u think of the boat and what does the cost run at?

2. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think you mean a RIVER PRO. I have the same issue and don't recall seeing a River Rat. But you are right about it running in very shallow waters. They are powered buy a Mercury jet drive. They only offer 2 models, the Hi Pro XT, is a deep-v type boat and the LoPro looks sort of like a bass boat. I think they might build some plain johnboats also. All models are made of aluminum. Hope this helps.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have a 16 footer that will run in six inches of water. It has the displacement hull. It sits real shallow in the water and is stable as all get out but the draw back is it takes a hoss of a motor to get it any where. It doesn't plane out it just sits on the water and breaks thru it.

4. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I had a 2003 RiverPro HiPro and they are great boats. In fact, I am buying another one. They will run in extremely shallow water. There were times I took my RiverPro over dry sandbars by first creating a wake with quick turn then riding the wake over the sand. 3” of water is not a problem if you are on plane. I also could jump logs by nosing the boat up to it then hitting the throttle. A RiverPro is one tough boat. I have some pics of my old one at www.NavCraft.com/riverpro.

For the record, I do not have a business interest in RiverPro boats. I am just a satisfied customer.

Tom

5. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    You wanna run in 6 inches of water or less any flat bottom boat with a jet motor will get the job done.
    Good luck on getting a jet though,i believe they stopped making them....EPA regulation or sumthin like that.

They don't have a whole lotta speed but you can get to places on the water that other boats can't.I seen guys run wide open in a couple inches of water.
    Been lookin into those types of boats myself,all ya need is the jet motor and any flat bottom boat,a deep V would limit how shallow you can run,due to the hull,
    flat bottom your pretty much limitless.

6. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 16.5' Lowe 160SPL mod-v w/ a Johnson 50/35 Jet. She'll do 25 in 6" of water. ANY 25hp or better outboard can be converted to a jet drive. There is a company in CA (outboard jets inc.) that makes all of the outboard jet adapters. They have a patent on the system.

The good part of a jet is that they run shallow and you only need 12-18" of water to get going.
    The bad part is that reverse is not as powerful or precise as a prop drive, they're squirrely on the turns, and you lose 20% of your motor's power.

I LOVE my jet and would never go back to a prop drive.

Here's a great link on jets: http://www.sonarsearch.com/Jets.htm

7. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I do not agree with your statement about jets having a lack of speed. My old RiverPro with the SportJet 175 hp would do close to 50 mph, measured by GPS. I could do that speed through some of the most snag and sandbar infested water on the planet. The only thing that could even come close is an air boat. More than a few prop boat owners were cursing me as they tried to follow in my wake up a difficult stretch of river and banged up their lower units.

If you are thinking about a new boat to use on a river, then do yourself a favor and take a ride in a RiverPro. I will buy you a beer if you are not impressed after the ride.

Tom

8. Bill_Gibbs

Bill_Gibbs New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Great article on Jets!
    Thanks for the info GEBS

9. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Tmuenster, From what I gather, Kevin T. builds a fine jet setup and he really knows his stuff. I only wished I could afford a riverpro, snyder, rockproof, etc. jet boat.