River Rat SC's new rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by RiverratSC, Oct 7, 2008.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've been looking for something to add to my collection and I ordered myself a rifle three weeks ago. Today it came in and I picked ity up this evening.

I bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win, I put a Nikon Prostaff BDC 3X9-40mm scope and a Caldwell folding bipod.

Now I gotta figure out what ammo works best at 150 gr on deer and coyote.

Attached Files:

2. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    thats a sharp looking rifle you should try remington loads through it

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Very Nice! Going to be lots of fun for sure. :cool2:

4. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Sweet looking rifle you got there!!! I have been thinking of buying a .308 for our special late antlerless high power season here in Iowa.

You just sent her on up here to Iowa and I'll work up a deer killin' coyote thumpin' 308 load for ya buddy.:smile2::smile2:

Let us know how she shoots.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on a fine rifle. I think 150 grains will be great. I load 150 nosler ballistic tips in my 06 and love it. Ive never tried them on yotes though.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thomas. nice looking rifle there. I've been looking at a Remington 700 at wally world myself in .270 So many branded models out there got me researching hard. I can get i with camo stock and blue for 477.00 with scope.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I hit the rifle range yesterday to sight in the scope. I had it sighted in after about 15 rounds but ended up running 40 rounds thru altogether.

Thanks guy.

Ozzy............. Mossberg has a great rifle if you don't want to spend a fortune on one. I have a Mossberg ATR 100 in .30-06 that I use to deer hunt with and its a very sound rifle. I bought the .308 because I wanted a heavy barrel rifle.

We have a coyote problem around here close by the house and I want to make sure when he is hit, he is down.

8. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Funny how that part works out isn't it!!!!
    I went to try a new load in a pistol once and spent about 300 rounds down range from 10-50yds. Sure beat going home and mowing the lawn!!
    Which 150 did you end up with?? I tried some of the 125 grain "varmint" bullets in a 308 and my 30/06 and on something like ground hogs they turned them to red dust but the bullets did not get the job done on coyote's, I ended up just using the same Nosler 165gr that the gun liked for deer and coyotes. The bullets jackets are thin enough to stop a coyote DRT..

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sweet rifle. Personally i would work up some handloads for it. Takes time to get it all figured out but i like the way they shoot once ya find what it likes best.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Hornady Custom SST 150gr is what I'll be hunting with and I might use some Winchester Silvertips but not sure about them yet. I use the winchesters in my 06 and have had great success.

11. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The silvertips shoot out of my 25/06 Sendero like a shotgun but the Nosler one hole at 100yds, The SST 117gr shoot the same. Can figure it out. In my 30/06 the silvertips shoot great? Each gun has there own preference.
    Good Luck with it!!!

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I hear ya, dont want them getting your hounds. I want a .270 for yotes. Wolves I love, yotes I hate. Ya got any yote calls? PM me your addy and il send ya a Primos call CD.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing. That is one sweet rig.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yeah Kip each likes different rounds for sure. My 06 does great with the Silvertip but the Hornady round shoot a little different.

Ozzy we are loaded with coyotes now. I read in a magazine that deer hunters killed like 25K last year. I was very surprised.

15. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    Don't know if you already checked but you may wanna check you rate of twist on that barrel and then decide what weight bullet to shoot. You may already know that the twist will always dictate what gr bullet shoots the best out of any rifle first and foremost. Well that's what my gunsmith taught me when we were picking the barrel for my customs.

Can anyone back me up here?

You can normally email or call a bullet Mfg and if you tell them the twist rate of your rifle they will tell you what weight bullet will stabilize the best for that rate of twist. I've called Ty at Barnes a few times when I was trying to get them dang thangs to soot in my rifles.... I never had any luck on the barnes.....

16. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    BArnes will shoot in any rifle. You might have to work a little harder on the right setup but they will shoot. Start out with the bullet .050 of the lands. It took me 11 different loads to get my .308 to shoot them but I ended up with
    .115 off the lands with a 150 gr X flat base and 49 grains of 4300 powder. The .306 will shoot .700 groups at 100 yds. Pretty good for a factory model 7 with a short skinny barrel. I have worked up several Barnes loads for a number of rifles. They all soot well in the respective guns.

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just curious. Wouldn't a .223 or 22/250 be a better varmint gun than a 30 cal? Certainly, for large game the 30 cal would be more efficient, but is it necessary for smaller varmints? Once again, just curious.
    Bill in SC

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

Well I thought about that Bill and I all I can tell you is several gun makers offer a varmint in .308 win. which seemed a bit large and slow for varmint. I didn't buy it for varmint personally, I bought it because of the sniper aspect of it. Its what our City/County SWAT team use. Only varmint I'll be shooting is coyote. Its more of a deer gun for me. I don't load bullets I just buy factory loads.

Speaking of varmint, the only varmint around here are groundhogs that I know of anyway.