1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went on a canoe trip to current river last weekend and i saw several small weasle looking animals that were a black color. They would get in the clear water and swim under water and i even saw one of them catch a crawdad. I have never seen a river otter before but i think that is what they were. They almost seemed to be to small to be an otter but i guess that is what they were, does anybody know?

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I would say otters but not sure. I bet it was fun to watch them!

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I would say, unless young otter you were watching mink, look like weasle only darker and some bigger, otter, usually weight, on average around 15 to 30 lb with exceptions.
    Watched a mink this summer put on a show, swimming and climing up a forked log and diving. a otter is about the size of a house cat, if you took 2 of them and stuck them end to end,
    Jim

4. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Do you happen to have muskrats back there? If so that would be one of my guesses.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I once sat and watched afamily of otters for an hour. they swam right under my boat. they are really maneuvable when swimming. They reintroduced them here in Indiana a couple of years ago.

6. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I was out on the St.Croix a week ago and had a pair of otters swim right next to the boat scared the heck outa me. Funny thing is it was right above the dam in 40 ft. of water in the middle of the river.

As jim said they are long 3 ft.+ and they are very good swimers.

7. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im thinking they were minks because ive seen plenty of muskrats and it wansnt one of those. I didnt know how big otters got but these guys were only about 2 ft including there tails. They were some crazy little guys jumpin off of logs and swimmin under the conoe. Thanks for the varification.

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I saw two otters for the first time back in March. They're the neatest animals to watch.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I was walking through a small creek last summer catching creek chub to go cattin with when I came upon a family of minks. I tossed them one of my nice creek chubs to see what would happen. It flopped around for a minute and one of the babies came up and ate it. I sat there for almost an hour and fed them every last creek chub I had! It was a blast. Towards the end they would come up and take them outa my hand.

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    At this one spot I fish I see a faimly of otters almost eveytime I'm there at day break. They swim up & down this one area of the river about 10 feet out from the bank. These otter have been there for a few years now and I sometimes find myself waiting on them to swim by. They seem to always take the same path around the same time each morning.

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Don't be hand feeding critters, especially otters, I know a woman who's pet otter tried to take out her cartoid artery without warning. Lucky for her it missed.:crazy:

12. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i spend november 10th through january 10th trappin mink and i vacation at the current every summer and i can definitely tell u that u r seein mink. i saw five in one day one year down there and would give anything to get the chance to trap the current for mink. they are not near as gutsy around central illinois however, but i guess if u live in a river where thousands of canoers paddle by each year ya just get used to it.

13. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess that settles it, they were mink. Thanks guys

14. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    minks are rare i think...dunno if it would be one of those

15. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They arent rare around here. Maybe were you live though.