river otters in catfish ponds

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by boogie man, Jan 29, 2008.

1. boogie man

boogie man New Member

State:
    texas
    I'VE GOT 6 PONDS ON MY RANCH STOCKED WITH CHANNELS. ONE OF THEM IS IN MY BACK YARD. I PUT 2 THOUSAND FINGERLINGS IN IT I2 YEARS AGO AND ALSO BREEDER BOXES SO THEY WOULD REPRODUCE- WHICH THEY DO.I HAD A CAT TRAP IN IT BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE TO FISH PONDS SO I TOOK FISH OCCASIONLY OUT THAT WAY TO FISH FRY. I NOTICED OVER TIME THAT I DIDN'T SEE AS MANY FISH AS I FED THEM.ONE DAY I PULLED UP THE TRAP AND THERE WAS A DEAD OTTER IN IT. A WEEK LATER I SAW A DISTURBANCE ON THE WATER. I WENT OUT AND SAW 2 OTTERS IN THE POOL COMING OUT. I HAD MY SHOTGUN. ONE OTTER RAN AWAY AND HASN'T BEEN BACK TO MY KNOWLEDGE.THERE IS ABOUT 15 TURTLES AT ANY GIVEN TIME .I THIN THEM BUT MORE COME.ALSO I HAD 8 FLATHEADS IN THERE FOR 10 YEARS. THEY WEIGHED 18 TO 30 PDS WHEN I TOOK THEM OUT. ANY CATMEN GOT AN OPINION ON WHAT DRASTICLLY THINNED MY FISH? NO PEOPLE THEFT POSSIBLE- NO BIG DIE OFF . JUST YOUR OCCASIONAL FLOATER OR DEAD SKELETON ON LAND. I HAVE SINCE REPLACED THE FISH AND DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN AGAIN. I FISH BOB SANDLIN IN MT PLEASANT 2 OR 3 TIMES A WEEK. ANY BODY ELSE FISH THERE? GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Otters will clean out a pond in a short time..I know some guys here that had otter problems til one of my buddies trapped them out..I'd suggest getting a local trapper to stop by..:wink:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i know 100 %%%% exactely what your going threw :angry::angry: but some of the BOC members threw a fit on what i said about them. read the moutain lion thread in missouri. i wouldnt waiste your time restocking it until you kill off the otters they are very good breaders if you seen 2 or 3 i bet theres more like a dozzen or more around`. call your local conservation dept and try your best to let them give you the go ahead to kill them !! if they dont well after reading my thread im sure you can read between lines in what to do :wink:.
    good luck with it. best wishes to ya.

4. boogie man

boogie man New Member

State:
    texas
    THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, I WASN'T SURE WHAT THE CULPRIT WAS BUT I'LL GO ON RED ALERT NOW. LATER

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Like they said get yourself a good trapper.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Otters by land. Killers and decimaters. Will simply play your fish to death. Usually though if they got plenty to eat they will usually just bite the back out of a fish and return to the water for more. Are you close to running water, Large creek or river? If you are they usually come in and leave. that's why you don't see them.

Cormorants (Water turkeys) Can clean ya out in a short time. They will usually drive the eater size they can handle into a cove or shallow end and butcher them.

More than likely you have an otter problem.

Problem won't end until the problem is ended.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    gotta get rid of the otters !!!!!!!!!!!

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we put a flathead in our tanks to "clean" them out. If they are still in there they WILL eat alot of channel cats. It would be a good idea to thin the turtles out using a turtle trap too. I dont know about otters but water turkeys (comerants) will kill alot. It at all possible you can put some underwater structure (tree, cinderblocks, brush) out in the tanks for something they can hide in.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If you've seen the otters them more than likely that is your problem. Otters will come in clean out a pond and leave. They will usually keep a pattern and return within 2wks to a month. Keep an sharp eye out they will be back. If you find a slide on your pond where they enter you can put a trap at the bottom in the water and catch them, or, you can make a location trap by taking a plastic barrel or trash can and put some small holes in it at the bottom. Place a weight in it and place the barrel in the pond so that only 3 or 4 inches is sticking up out of the water. Put a 330 conibare trap at the top cutting slits in the sides of the barrel to allow for the springs. cover the rest of the top so there is no gap for the otter to get in except for going thru the trap. Put some fish in the barrel and keep them fed. The otter will find the fish but will have to go thru the trap and you'll catch him.

Also, Otter will use the bathroom at the same place everytime so if you find where they are going to the bathroom you can set traps there and catch them. Just got to remember that at their bathroom site they go up the bank at one spot use the bathroom and then slide down at another spot. If you use foothold traps set them where they are coming out of the water. If you use conniber traps set them where they slide back in the water.