River Otters in Bartlett?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Tym2Fish, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    About a year ago I saw three what looked like river otters swimming around some rocks in the river end of Bartlett lake. They appeared to be the size of a house cat. I talked to AZ Game and Fish and they thought they were Muskrats. They said AZ used to have river otters but they were trapped so heavly that there are now few left. I wasnt able to get a close up view but did notice a bobcat approached them (I assume to take their meal) These things wouldnt back down for nothing. They ended up chasing the bobcat away. Two weeks ago I spotted them again swimming around just past the no wake bouyies. I was a little closer and observed one crawl out of the water on to the rocks. It was a little larger then a adult house cat and was dark brown in color. Just wondering if anyone else had seen these up in that area? They sure were fun to watch. As a side note they used to be two bald eagles which flew around in the same area. I havent seen them in a while and am wondering if they left for a better habitat.

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Last year I fished up the river quite a bit. One trip I saw otters, my dog went nuts barking at them.

Had some raccoons get on the boat to tassle with my pup at three or four in the morning while I was sleeping. That was interesting...

Wish I had a pellet gun. The 9mm I had on board would have been a little loud for 4 in the morning, anyhow.. Bobcats are intense animals... My buddy crossed tracks with one heading back through the parking lot at the "BOBCAT" boat ramp at Roosie...
    AZ has some great wildlife opportunities. You just have to get out there.

Good luck on the water.

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I'd take a look at their tails, muskrats will have bare tales like rats, and otters should have fur all the way down. I've had a hard time telling them apart when they are wet or swimming. It would be awesome if AZ is getting some of them back though.

4. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    No bare tails on the one I saw so they must be otters. Thats another reason I like the river end so much. Alot of wildlife to see. I have never had a animal attempt to gain access to my boat. I did however have a bear roam through our camp looking for a snack up at Hawley lake some years ago. That was interesting. Hawley lake is another great place to see wildlife if you like the cooler weather.

5. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I was up the salt at roosevelt 2 weeks ago and saw 2 otters fooling arond with a bloated carp. They fiddled with the carp for about 2 hours before they dissapeared. It was kinda weird at roosevelt. The first night my nephew and me couldnt buy a bite all night. I went to the same s[pot the next night, why you ask. Just a good feeling about the cover and the spot. We probably caught 40 catfish ranging from 2 to 8 lbs. All channels. I had one run on a bluegill but couldn't hook it.