River or Lake?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by South Grand Laker, Jan 1, 2008.

1. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This topic i'm sure has been discussed before and talked about alot, but i haven't been a member long enough to remember or seen, So this time of Year as of right now the first of January, if you had access to both the river and Lake which one would you spend most of your time fishing for more quality blues,????? the deep holes on the river or the holes off the river channels of the lake, i usually fish the lake and haven't fished the blues on the rivers this time of year, just wondered if one was better then the other

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Depends on what type of river. Rivers that dump into a main body lake like Grand without a doubt fish the lake. There's some blues in the river but the majority are still in the lake this time of year. Now that could change with a heavy winter rain that gets some good current going. There's still catfish in the river but the margin of channels to blues there's going to be more channels in the river this time of year. Fishing a section of strictly river like the Navagation channel where it just dumps into another lock, the blues can be sometimes easier to find. I fish L & D 18 year round and targeting the blues in the river during the winter is easier than in the summer. There's lot's of miles of river to explore but I know where all the deep holes are to narrow your search. I've hardly caught many blues in rivers that dump into lakes this time of year. My ratio is probably 9 channels to every blue in a river that dumps into a lake this time of year.

3. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    well your right about Grand being feed by spring and neosho, and i do spend this time of year on the Lake, but i was just recenly confused by somebody i sometimes fish with, had been fishing the same spots on the lake with me and we've been doing good, and he just disappeared to the river down below the damn, which is hudson and i was just wondering why he would do such a thing, if it was easier to find 3 or 4 big blues to a hole in a river hole this time of year then the deep water holes on the lake, i don't know

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I'd look to see if Grand during that time started to release a more than average amount of water. When they start to release more water it will start to turn them on. Seems to me that all that ice and rain a few weeks back had some of the lakes releasing more water than usual.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I talk to a friend the other day who has been fishing the Elk river above hwy. 10 bridge and he said he hasn't been doing well at all . I been wanting to go between the #10 bridge and sailboat bridge. The channel should be holding some fish i would think but honestly i haven't been.

6. dobbie

dobbie Member

John I would say the Sailboat bridge area would be good right know.I drive over the bridge going to work and see boats on both sides of the bridge.I have also seen some jugs on the east side lately.I haven't fished it this year but last year around this time we caught some nice ones on jugs.

7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have not been over on grand in a few weeks,but my uncle said they have been catching some nice fish around silboat bridge. We will be over there this coming weekend. Going set a few jugs out. Also heard they are hooking some spoonbill. The temp is going to be around 60. Happy new year to you all.

8. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    well , i guess i should reinterate this topic from the neosho or spring river, and should of just said grand river tail waters, to hudson down to strang bridge, which is only a few miles down from grand river, those are the holes i was talking about, but do appreciate all the reads anywas, i'm not to familiar with the northern parts, thanks alot anyways, i like to hear about the northern part of the lake as well,