River Monsters

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by BLACK MAC, Jun 6, 2009.

1. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Anyone watching the "River Monsters" series? there's a lot monster catfish and possible man-eaters (check out the Goonch catfish). Jeremy Wade is the host and does a pretty good job catching the big ones.

Just seeing if there was any interest... if you like fishing (and catfish or large fish in general) you may enjoy this show.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Yes i like the show!!!! Those Gooch-cats got some teeth that would definately put a hurt on an old-noodler!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink: It would be his last trip-out:wink:

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    yes I like that show, I try not to miss it.

4. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Troy

Thanks for your email, and glad to hear you've been enjoying the series.

My favourite rod is probably the 10.5ft hollow fibreglass sea bass surf rod that I stripped down and re-ringed to go mahseer fishing in India in 1986. Back then it was impossible to buy what I needed off the shelf, and this was the closest I could get to what I wanted. I caught several mahseer on it, up to 92lb, and it has since also caught goliath tigerfish in the Congo, and arapaima in the Amazon, which makes it pretty unique. But it's now in semi-retirement. Hard to say what my favourite reel is -- maybe my Policansky multiplier, which is quite a rare make (quite primitive by today's standards and made in South Africa), but likewise it did the job when not many other models were around.

Biggest fish was the grouper I caught in the bullshark programme, estimated weight somewhere between 250 and 290lb. For my own reasons I have never claimed any world records, although some of the fish I have caught might have been eligible (the goonch, for example).

Most dangerous fish was probably goliath tigerfish in Congo -- they're like giant piranha, and could literally take someone's fingers off if they weren't careful.

All best wishes

Jeremy

#################
    You know I had to ask what kind of tackle, biggest fish and most dangerous... He's definitely someone I would go fishing with.

:cool2:

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    that was some good insight you rec. from the host of the show! it is on tonight cant wait

6. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I've seen the show a few times & those fish are sure enuff monsters

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I have watched a lot of em. The gooch cat has teeth like a shark:wink:

8. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    That takes some pretty BIG (fill in the blank) to hook a goonch catfish then enter the (white water) river knowing there are other goonch’s around and the one you have on your line can turn around…
    Bill Dance and others fall off their boats fishing for “bait fish” (aka bass =) not too dangerous but to enter the white water with the goonch is a whole other breed of angler, that’s the guy I want to fish with…

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali

LOL!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2: He has some big ones for sure. I would love to wet a line with that dude. He is serious!

10. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i have it set to record on my DVR . . . dude is a stud.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    love the show myself would like to fish with him also.any big fish gets my attention and gets my blood stiring.

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I go in the water after perch what you talkin about :smile2:

13. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    LOL

14. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Me too. That's what puts me to bed everynight.

15. tomtom

tomtom New Member

State:
    nevada
    thanks for posting that email its cool to hear from a pro

16. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    They're showing reruns out here on cable already. Actually it went from animal planet to discovery for us. It's an awesome show and I even watch the reruns. LOL It's nice to know what he uses for gear. Good post

17. Hemus Bocephus

Hemus Bocephus New Member

State:
    Indiana
  18. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Troy, Thanks for the post. I don't think I would take my little inflatable boat on one of those trips!