River meander and rolling humps

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 2, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    When the missouri river crosses sides then above and below where the river hits the other bank there are allways humps or rolling sections. Anyone know why this happens?
    Is it barge engines that cause it? Is it the natural flow of water twirls that happens as river bounces off bank? Is it high/low water?

Trying to figure this out.
    Has anyone found any good info that addresses similar topography?
    Thanks.

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i don't know how they are formed but they sure do hold channels and flatty's.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay James the missouri River where you and I fish has very little barge traffic so I don't think that is it. I belive it is caused buy the natural flow of the River around here you know that sucker is moving mighty fast. Infact I belive the Missouri is one of the Fastest. JMHO. J,D.

4. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    More flow means less sand build up. I find a rolling bottom or a series of sand drifts a good thing to fish as it gives cover to cats to get out of current and lets the current blow over their heads and they can dart up and get food and duck back down into cover. The river is a series of riffle,holes and runs and ya need to take a small river and blow it up on the Missouri to scale. Same principle just a whole lot more water to read.I have been watching your posts and I have fished alot of the same water you fish and its all good. Your on the right track chasing blues and it is a 12 month game if you can figure out where they should be at in each phase of the cycle.A example,from November till late March -earlyApril Winter phase -wintering holes and creek mouths.April to spawn time on the feed building up energy,outside bends and tips of the dikes. Spawn not much going on until the last of July and it just gets better till you can`t stand to brave the weather to fish.If you can stay on what they are feeding on it is alot easy to get them to bite. Water temp plays a big part and weather also does too.Not alot we can control but just keep going and learn more each trip out. Good luck

5. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    I notice those awhile back while riding in someone else's boat, that other boat had a much better depth finder than I have in my boat.

I didn’t realize a pattern existed with those formations until I read your post this morning.

Patterns and google searches spark my interest. After some searching this morning I may have found a very large document that’ll give insight into your question.

I can’t say I've looked at this document yet, but I think it'll come close to answering your question.

See the first hit in the following search ......http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=river+hydraulics+basdoc.pdf+&btnG=Search

6. Big Cat Crazy

Big Cat Crazy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    More flow in inside bends and these areas mean less sediment distribution. Also be careful, I know you probably know your graph-depth sounder equipment, but having the wrong sensitivity settings can give you false readings in these areas due to increased flow and current, which can cause a lot more boat bounce. This I have found more times than I care to recall has jumped up and bit me

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Thanks guys,
    Lot of good info.
    Wade that pdf is long and plan to study it more-thanks. Interesting it talked about the "long waves". Sure many have noticed when sitting that theres like a "pulse waves" you can allmost count time to next one. See this at boils where time between boils can be seen/heard.

little tid bits that we remember but didnt pay much attention to at the time. Nice to learn something new and be able to draw on that recollection and put it to good use.

I have found that when I think I know an area (say 10miles) only to be fishing late one night and run across some structure or contour that I didnt even notice before.
    Maybe driven over 100 times before, but didnt key into! I find night time of value to notice these things. I am using my ears and sonar more thoroughly then and less boat traffic,waves and most importantly I am less likely to just dismiss an area as not having good structure at night.

So after a few years fishing a particular stretch then I build a headful of spots that I can concentrate on.

So I can say I know such and such a stretch as well as I can put a pattern on the fish and draw accurate prediction! Right. Been there before! River does humble all of us!

Sonar is looking at such a small footprint that it can be hard to get a full picture even after multiple passes. Then the bottoms allways shifting as well anyway.

Been watching for the "bigger river picture" that is riffle-hole-run on a 1/4 to 1mile stretch (whatever it takes to complete) too lately and find it has some potential for improving my fishing and at very least helps me notice things I may never had understood before.

Found a new area other night. About a 1/2 block long that river shallowed by 1/2 depth all across that I never had a clue existed because I was too busy in my micro study of smaller sections (like wing dikes and holes) to notice. Maybe I would have noticed, but didnt know to watch for(?).

These types of areas may not on average or normal flow mean much (may find they do in fact), but at certain times of year when flow is down they could be major areas to key into. If these spots are known then working a 20 or 30 mile stretch would be much faster as ya know where to find em fast.

8. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Look at a river map and watch how wide the river gets in places and key in on areas that tend to be narrower as it at times increases current speed and most of the time the river depth tends to be deeper there. Constriction of the river is one of my keys to start looking a area over to see if it holds some more indicators of blues habitat that they prefer at certian times of the year. Next thing ya gotta do is fish it and see if they are present. May take a while as weather or river conditions may prevent success, ya cant beat fishing inside bends at night on sandbars to see if blues move through the area. Onenight I fished a place site unseen and when we got set up we had 12 blue bites and landed 5 for 95 lbs. My fishing partner went back and fished another that we looked at and landed 8 blues for 205lbs at night.

9. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Right on Willy!
    Appreciate you bringing that up and sharing. Seasonal timing-definitly. Would love to have the blues seasonal pattern down well enough to know when those monsters would pass by that restriction! WOW-I want some of that.

One could say If giant fish are all you want then just find those spots now and start working them religously-they will pass by eventually. Forget being productive now just concentrate on locating those spots. Within those travelers might be only shot ya get (and spring) at fish from other areas(?). Least believing this keeps me enduring time after time.

Combine that with Whistlers post of what I'd call "Natural river heads" or sudden drops and might be dynamite. who knows.

On my river that means late season-lowest water and many major sandbars exposed and narrowest channel time of year.

5 or 6 years ago I was amazed one year -really blown away what this one river bend stretch turned into around nov-dec. I wasnt confident enough with catching blues at the time, but still remember that spot like the last fish that got away!

Tough part can be different launch locations , some un-launchable here for low water, but still plan to make it happen as I am fishing the whole season now.

Kick myself every year that I talk about video recording long stretches for review of those exposed structure areas and dont do it- gonna make it happen this year.

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Wade,
    Thats alot of reading dude! Thanks. I read most of it for what I could get from it as its pretty technical.
    Between it and other deep research my take is that these humps are caused by twirling water flow- scour that is created after river hits bank or other obstructions. Fluctuating levels cause this occurance to happen at new areas up/down or out farther.
    Sediment transportation is deposited and removed from these areas as well.
    Interesting to learn about the effort to control sediment and keep it moving along.

Theres alot of pictures to a puzzle and many ways of putting pieces together to get to same end.

A guy could work the runs and the holes and do well, but to me they are well known and usually overworked already.
    Theres a little of a "luck of the draw" for right time being there at these spots (IMO).

I concentrat all my effort towards the rivers channel to identify every bump,drop,etc... and contour to find where fish are "part of the time". The less obvious-harder I had to work to find it the better. That tells me where a big fish lives or feeds. That I feel is how they grow old being in those spots.
    Once I find big fish in that spot, even if it didnt bite thats ok. I know where it lives and can come back anyother time when its hungry and if its not home then can work the immediate area around with more confidence that a big fish lives near.
    Lot more rush for the effort to know you are in its territory!

11. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james