River litter - wabash is plagued with peoples trash

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beaneye46, Feb 8, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i dont know about anyone elses river but my river, the wabash is plagued with peoples trash. one time i was heading up river on a boat and a refrigerator floated but us.
    during my latest trip to my favorite hole, there was trash, clothes and worst of all broken glass on the sand bar. i think its pretty irresponsibe to leave trash when its too easy to take it with you. if we want to help with cleaning and clearing our waters of contamination so maybe we can eat all the fish we want, than picking up after ourselves would be a good start.

2. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Its called lazy,plain and simple,if they stopped to think that the hole they were fishing will be diminished by all the litter you would think they would stop.but i dont think anyone cares until they have no place to fish because they destroy it

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what really bad is when looking for firewood you have to watch out for needles! i've even come across i-v bags with the needles! sometimes i think even the hospitals are illegaly dumping.

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That's horrible!!! You have to look out for needles when looking for firewood?!?! You should probably report it to your local police. At one of my holes, I kept finding plastic/paper bags with traces of white powder inside. I figured it was crack, so i called the local police. They set up a servalence system around the general area, and they ended up busting 13 people!!!! Maybe the needles that your talking about are used for heroin or other injected substances.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
  6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its not like its in one area, i have seen them all throughout a 50-mile stretch. never thought about the police but i doubt they could do anything. it could be heroin addicts, they love to frequent the levys along the river. a freind of mine and a guy he used to fish with came across a glad-bag once along the river some 20 years ago. said it seemed like it was full of water, they didnt mess with it but someone else did and it was on the news later that night. wont say what was in there but turns out a local hospital had an employee dumping "organic" materials illegally and had been doing it for some time. anyone in my area remember this? thats what made me think about the hospitals while finding all these needles. got stuck once but i got checked out, i was lucky. in sothwest ohio there is an annual river clean up where people volunteer one day to pick up trash all along the entire lenght of the river. its amazing how much is collected. but it seems to do no good. by far the most trash that i see are those 20oz bottles and ciggarette lighters. if there was a deposit on those items you wouldnt have to worry about them. i for one would be collecting bagfulls everytime im out!

7. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Wow that is almost unbelievable. The areas were I go arent that bad. I always try to police the area before I leave thus leaving the area better then I found it.

8. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    I'm happiest when I'm on the river, be it the Mississippi or the Missouri and it pains me to see all the trash on the shoreline, so I guess those of us who were brought up right(which sounds like all of us posting here) will have police the waters we love to fish. It's good to know there are people like in Ol Man's post that are making an effort. He may not succeed but he'll die trying. Heck I'd give up a couple of saturdays to do some shoreline cleanup, but so many people just don't give a rat's behind about what they dump in our rivers...just my .02 worth

9. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish the Rio Grande river. The border between Texas and Mexico. I hear how badly this river is supposted to be polluted, from people that have never seen it. There is some trash high in the trees from high river conditions. So I believed it, untill I seen the other rivers in our nation. I can tell you for a fact the rio is one of the cleanest rivers I have ever seen. I have found old cars in some rivers. I think the rio is cleaner because of the lack of population around this river. I know it is bad however closer to the exit of the river, but up here it is great.

10. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    People that litter up our rivers and shore lines are going to ruin it for people like us who value nature and outdoors , oh it burns me up to go back to one of my fishing holes and see litter everywhere, but I'll keep taking my glad bags and cleaning up after the idiots who trash , its not fair to nature or to fisherman , but what can ya do.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Its not just the rivers, this lake is like that also. Really pi**es me off.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's everywhere, those people that do that are as trashy as the trash they leave behind.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Hey flatcat what river is that in your avatar? Looks like mine, (muskingum). You know sometimes I hate the fact that there is not much public bank fishing access on the muskingum but the truth is all those places usually have all sorts of trash and crap lying around them.But I can put in the boat and float up or down and see miles of trees, pastures, well tended lawns, rock cliffs, all kinds of scenes without any hint of trash or people ever being there (cept for the lawns).That is how I like to remember my river when I think back on it. Hope it stays that way.

14. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Careful, you'll get me started. Some people are just pigs, and couldn't give a care about any other person or thing in this world. I've seen it on the river a lot, with minnow cartons, terminal tackle wrappers, chicken liver tubs, fast food paper and cups, wads of fishing line.... disgusting. We always pack out a netfull, every trip. One of the storm outlets sometimes has syringes with needles, like they'd been thrown in to the storm sewer on the street. I don't mess with that stuff.

Now, it's showing up in our neighborhood, as some of our younger folks have seen fit to just throw the soda cups, cans, bottles, bags, straws, etc. out the window driving down the street. Some of them even live on the street, but I guess they think it not in front of their house, so what. These are the folks we'll be depending on in our old age?

Two paragraphs. Whew! I'll stop before I burn something up.

Dennis

15. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    its been said before the people that do that are pigs makes you wonder how they live at times. i was driving down the road one day and some idiot tossed his mcdonalds cup half full of a milkshake out the window splatted the front of my truck i folloed him till he got to where he was going and pinned him in with my pete jumped out and proceeded to make him clean it off the front of my truck gave him two options he does it or i do it but if i do it it will be with his suit for the rag. bet he dont do that again.

16. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We always carry extra trash bags and police the area before and after fishing. Sadly the trash consists of empty liver buckets and fishing line. My son used to get mad because he had to clean things before fishing, now he gets mad at the slobs who left it behind. It doesnt matter where you live or if you fish lakes, ponds, or rivers, there are slobs everywhere. I asked the warden why they dont ticket. He said it is nearly impossible to prove. He literally has to observe them leave and follow them home. after an hour he would knock on the door and issue a citation. He was overturned ticketing them at the area, because the got off by saying they were going home to get a trash bag. Sad but true. I now carry a roll of trash bags and offer them to the potential slobs around us. I know many wre just leaving to go get the trash bag, but hey its hot out and I like to save them a trip.

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The main river that Dink and myself as well as H20Mellon and Pendog fish is very urbanized, with roads all along it and lots of pull offs to poular party spots. The Trash is sometimes from high water and left there but mostly its the usual beer cans, 20 oz bottles, fast food packages. Now Isponsor with another conservation group, river cleanups on our local Mad River and I can tell you that the amound of condoms and Diapers is astounding ( we usually exempt folks from those items)

Good news is that we are seeing less tires and paint huffing materials over the last few years so maybe it is getting a little better, who knows, it is a neverending battle to pick up trash, I always have a roll of garbage bags I keep in my car and always pick up a little everywhere I go, it is easy to take 1 small bag of trash out and home with you, and by the end of the season, Ive went through about 80 bags, not all full mind you but if everyone got into this habit, it would certainly help.( and does make the fishing areas look nicer, most folks wont litter if there isnt any already there)

Oh yeah, I ve seen many needles in our area and try to pick them up as carefully as possible, most will slide into a 20 oz bottle with the cap put back on it for safe handling.

You folks who live out in the country just dont know what your missing...:p

Salmonid

18. wykydjuggalo

wykydjuggalo New Member

State:
    Gadsden,Alabama
    The kids have come into my favorite fishing hole during the colder months and painted swastikas and other thing of that nature all over the place, really made me mad when i was down there a couple days ago seeing if anything was biting yet

19. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    S Man the river in my avatar is Laughery Creek S.E. Indiana good place for flat head fishing, and Mutt way to go , ya should gave him his straw and made him suck it off the truck lol, but anyway he got what he deserved good going .

20. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    omg, man!!. Just last week my and a friend were walking along the banks just checking out the scene and noticed that someone had been fishing an area after we had stopped for the year. Guess how we noticed? Tons of 40ozers and candy wrappers, worm contaners etc(They obviously weren't flathead fishing). There were things I didn't want to see mixed in there as well :mad: . Well for what its worth we filled a couple of bags that were left down there with trash. Metal and a few other things were left down there that we couldn't carry out. I hope it will stop soon because they are fishing the spots with no regard to the habitat. I have never seen people with so little care for nature.:mad: