River limb lines

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by duckgetr, Feb 6, 2008.

1. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have been runnin lines in lakes since i was little with my dad and grandpa. We never ran them in rivers. I don't live far from the deoto ramp on the Kaw and was wondering if it would be worth trying and if so... how do you guys rig up limblines on the river to keep you lines down in the current etc...

2. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    Generally when I run limb lines I usually try to find a nice springy, but strong branch, so I don't need to connect a bungee. Obviously if you don't have access to good branches a bungee can be used to give the line a little spring. As many people have said, if you're going for the big ones it is best to wrap the line around the bungee in such a way that even if the bungee snaps, hopefully your line will still be there to hold a little longer.

After I have my lines tied I generally use a swivel with a steel leader and at least a 8/0 circle hook. I prefer the circles b/c they tend to produce less empty hooks! Recently I have read on here of people attaching a second stinger hook, which I will be using this spring.

To keep cut bait down in the current I will usually use a bead above the swivel and a few mediocre size sinkers above the bead. For live bait I rarely use much more than maybe a split shot, but generally I prefer to go weightless.

I like to have my live bait 1-2" below the water so their struggling creates some splashing that a big flathead can't resist. Cut baits I will send to different depths depending on the structure around the line and how deep the hole is.

I really like bullhead with their side and top horns cut off and bluegill with either some scaled removed or maybe a few slight cuts in non fatal places.

Good luck and have fun!

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'd love to see that in person.

4. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I'll try to build a rig up here some time and snap a pic of it...

5. mocatcatcher

mocatcatcher New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use rod and real only

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish the same way Josh described with the exception i use old inner tube rather than bungie cords. Cut about a 2 inch wide ring on it an use it for spring if there aren't any green limbs to choose from.

7. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I make mine using a 'shock absorber', the 'SA' is black rubber strap about 18-20 inches long. When I tie to a springy branch I don't use the 'SA' the branch will provide that. I use 8oz weight with 8/0 Gama circle or a 7/0 Circle Chunk Light Diiahcai hooks. The line is heavy camo braid line.

Here is a example of my rig.

Main line 18-20 in SA 8oz hook
    ---------------------########----@------&

My main line is 8-10 feet long, SA 18-20 in, about 6 inches from SA to weight & then 6 inches to circle hook.

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry i cant help Jim strictly rod and reel.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    limb lines are great me myself i like to fight them with rod and real
    but u can target the big ones with bank lines but use good material because its not cool not being prepared for the big ones

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Maybe it's just my bad luck but everytime I've used limb lines, somebody
    ends up running them before I get back even if I come back in two hours.
    Maybe my limb lines are just insulting to people since I don't try to hide
    them. Needless to say haven't used them in years.

11. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have a DVD i just got from MegaCrew it's really information on the subject.

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yes that video u mentioned is great jack love is great when he asked me if i wanted to fish with him i was amazed and he said anyone that fishes as hard as u do i want as a parter just check out the pictures he has on his web site they are great and he even has some of me in there from last summer

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can verify that my friend...I was not prepared last year...Had a nice flat on the Jug line last year,I was UN-prepared and lost him...I would say it was about 60-65 lbs about 3 1/2 to 4ft long and head as wide as my 25hrsp motor...I reached down and caught his mouth like you would a bass and let me tell you the fight was on...I held him in my hands for maybe 30-45 secs before he went into a roll and broke loose from my grip...I highly recommend a very large net be put in your boat if you are going to target these big boys...I limb and jug allot like the above described...Even when jugging I will use a strap on the stationary side of my jug line from time to time if I am setting up for the big one...Good luck this year boys...

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    I think some people just dont understand about limb lining its great but hard work and i get a rush when i c a bungy or a limb moving around
    lively baite and placment is the best
    as far as the gar they wont bother u as much if u just use baite that is big enough sometimes i use 1lb carp and bullhead but let me tell u they dont get picked off by gar and what is funney is that even a five lb flatie will take a baite that big
    one time we had a flatie stuck on a baite with the hook sticking outside his mouth how funney that was a five lb flatie and he only came off after i pulled it out my son laughed all day long about it

15. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is pretty funny...It is amazing the things that happen when doing this...as far as hard work you are not kidding about that...

You know I don't mind the juggers or the limb liners or even the bank pole fisherman but some of them just will not put in the hard work it takes to pick up after themselves...

You are right about the big bait...I have heard of a fisherman on the BOC who use limb lines have had a 15lb flat swallow a 5lb channel...that to me was amazing...I would never have dreamed that possible...This fisherman checked his lines and had this 5 lber on his line, he left him on the line and came back in the morning and this 15lb Flat was on his line...This seems like a fish story to me but they do have a very large mouth...I would like to have seen that ones gut pile to believe that one fully...

I have seen 1lb bullheads used and even 1lb carp but a 5lb channel never...that is amazing...Just understand with large bait it takes a little while longer to get hook ups but when you do my friends you better bet you will have a nice fish on...

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i just dont like going to my favorite place and seeing innertubes and lines being left all over the place like people have money to ressuply after every trip not me thats for sure thats why i take every thing down for the next trip

17. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know this is not a limb line but thought you might find this Helpful...I run this setup along with limb lines...I am enclosing a photo for you to view and please note if you are rigging large bait add the bungee or strap to the main line...As this will help with hook set and resistance...

I hope you all enjoy the picture and find it useful...I will add to the library for future referance...

Attached Files:

18. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    You would probably do well, but, the Kaw is not stocked as is the lakes in Kansas, if properly managed the Kaw will produce trophy Blues and Flats.

19. Beehunter

Beehunter New Member

State:
    Goosepond Marsh, Indiana
    We use about a 10' piece of willow and tie a swivel and high strenght decoy line to the hook. shove the willow into the bank about 3' at an angle that can't be pulled straight out and hook a bluegill where his back is sticking out of the water about a 1/2", this lets him skitter around in and out of the water and create a ruckus that the flatheads cant resist. We always set our linblines in at least 3 or 4 ft of water with a sand or gravel bottom, seems we don't catch as many in mud bottom. Iys been years since we did it but this system used to wrok real well. Good Luck

20. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I like tieing off to soft maples or willow trees if possible otherwise a piece of innertube is necessary........rigged inline with about 6 to 8 inches stretch available for cushion.