River Levels!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bluesclues, Mar 4, 2007.

1. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am going to throw this out to the cat fishermen that fish the rivers in the mid west. Here it is; do you want to fish the river when it is rising,steady or falling? :0a23:I have fished the Wabash for 4 years and have heard many stories....lets take a vote!!!

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    bill, this has run the gamet over the years on the boc, check the archives.

whats your favorite condition buy the way? lets hear you theory first.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I like when the water is rising, sometimes steady is good. falling is my least favorite.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i would have to say at pool or at a steady rise seems like the bites are slow on the fall

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've done my best when the rivers are holding steady at pool level just cause I know where the most productive spots are I guess. But also, I've done well when the rivers are on the rise also, not rising too fast, but a steady rise.

6. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tim, I have ran the river falling, rising and steady. They say when it is rising it is the best but I like it when it rises 2-4 ft. and stays there for 24 hrs.. The river(wabash) I run is always up and down so it is hard to adjust to what the fish want.:0a23:

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    :lol: i like the water wet , it doesnt matter if its rising , falling or in between if its got fish il catch them even if i have to use a taco for bait :lol: but i prefer summer pool over any other low water means less places to search

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I prefer the river to be rising or steady, but I have caught fish at all times. I have noticed the bite tends to be worse when the river is falling. Vern

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats fishing bill. lol the realtime stream flow charts on the net will help you see when its likely to be on the rise. sometimes at normal pool you can pattern the rises from dam releases. watch the scales for a whiloe and youll se what i mean. i go anytime i can but if its on the rise get the hell outa my way.:0a22:

10. Travsher

Travsher New Member

State:
    Columbus indian
    Here on driftwood, a fast rise too bank full pushes to fish into creeks and back side of islands. They really get on a bite but it don't last long.

11. Kat Killah

Kat Killah New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i like it normal or flooded a few feet, one day went to the ol fishn spot on the licking river and it was flooded and muddy, couldnt stop catching them channels.

12. flathdjunkie

flathdjunkie New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Steady to slight rise works best for me.

13. rlagullana

rlagullana New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Around my area (albany) the flatheads tend to bite when the water is steady. They like it on the down side of the dam and they like the pool where it is deep. The channels like the higher water i have found out though. There is many things that will make them bite strange though.

14. flathdjunkie

flathdjunkie New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ryan - I sometimes fish the Missiddinewa river outside of Albany. It's been a few years but I'm thinkin about goin there again this year.

I've caught some nice channels and blues there but I put 'em back. There was a newspaper article about a car battery manufacturer that used to dump batteries on farm land near Albany and the river several years ago.

Of course a cleanup of the area was ordered around 10 years ago and the DNR posted a fish advisory from there to several miles down river. I'm not sure if the advisory is still in effect. Have you heard anything?

15. flathdjunkie

flathdjunkie New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ryan - I sometimes fish the Missiddinewa river outside of Albany. It's been a few years but I'm thinkin about goin there again this year.

I've caught some nice channels and blues there but I put 'em back. There was a newspaper article about a car battery manufacturer that used to dump batteries on farm land near Albany and the river several years ago.

Of course a cleanup of the area was ordered around 10 years ago and the DNR posted a fish advisory from there to several miles down river. I'm not sure if the advisory is still in effect. Have you heard anything?

16. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    I do best when it's rising or steady. Have yet to figure out to fish when it's falling.