Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to a fella in the know about the Mo. River levels. He's a contractor that does river work for the CORP. He said July that water releases will all but stop starting in July to allow work on the river system that is overdue due to past floods. Dikes and eroded banks need attention.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info... Looks like it's about to get real low!! I've already seen quite a few guys out surveying some of the dams and replacing some of them down here by me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wing dams are in terrible condition between Hartsburg and Rocheport. I have mixed feelings about fixing them, though.
Leaving it to Mother Nature would greatly improve the fish habitat, but fixing the water control structures will make for safer boating.
The drawdown should make for very good fishing if it lasts through August and September.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Notching the dikes was an idea that the Federal boys came up with to improve fish habitat. That and the spring pulse idea. Trouble was this caused many problems in extreme flood years . Levees failed cause fast flowing water was redirected against them. Now I hear they are going to close up these notches.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had a little jump in levels due to the heavy rains in North Mo. They are shutting down water out of Gavins Point is my understanding.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,121 Posts
Lewis and Clark lake is not that big. They will probably shut off or reduce flow from Ft. Randall also. Then maybe let Oahie near Pierre, SD fill also.

There goes my late summer fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts