River hydrologs, charts and graphs

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, anyone who uses the river should bookmark these links. For years, going to the river was a crap shoot at best. Just never knew from home what level it was, or whether it was rising or falling. Now, with the internet, I ALWAYS know exactly what level it is and what it's doing. If you don't have these hydrologs, bookmark them for regular reference. I view my local chart at:
    http://www.dnr.sc.gov/water/hydro/gages.htm
    The more important chart for the Big Pee Dee is the one from upriver at Blewett Falls dam. I can use it to see when water has been held back or released. So... I know a few hours ahead, what to expect on our stretch.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv...te_no=02129000
    These charts have aided me immensely.
    Bill in SC

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    interesting stuff thank you for sharing this with us

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    catfisherman_eky3: I would think that there would be such charts and logs on each river or body of water in every state. You might can find them for your area with a little searching.
    BB in SC

4. andrew492

andrew492 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the links. That should help bunches.

5. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks a million.

PeeDee Cat

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    With the economy such as it is right now, Greg, I'll settle for a hundred? :)
    BB in SC

7. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Could you explain how to read these graphs and charts? I consider my self an intelligent guy, especially with computer software and database analysis but this stuff blows my mind. :confused2:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL!!!!! I can only get a reasonable idea about the levels from the charts myself. I just look at my local level (Bennettsville station) and see if it is rising or falling. I then look at the chart from the power dam at Blewitt Falls and see if their discharge is going up or down. From that info, I can pretty much tell when the river will start to go up or down. Also, looking at my local chart river stage level in "feet", I can tell if the rock bars or sand bars will be exposed or at hazardous operational stage. I fish it at any stage except flood stages, and I know the river well enough to avoid hazards, but it's nice to know what shape to expect the river to be in BEFORE I leave home. Used to be that I had NO CLUE as to what the river was doing until I got to the river. If I saw a wet mark on the trees right above the water level, I knew it was falling. Also, you can look at the graphs and get a general idea if the river is falling or rising consistently from day to day. The whole scheme of things depends on rainfall above the dam, and perhaps power needs for the surrounding area that it furnishes. It's complicated, but it sure beats looking at the trees AFTER you get to the river. :wink: Here is another chart you may want to bookmark that tries to predict what the hydrological activity will be according to weather predictions.
    http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ilm&gage=pdes1
    Bill in SC

9. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    According to the forecast at the above link, looks like the river is gonna be awesome this weekend, if it holds true. The Forecast dropped a little from last night and will drop slowly until Sunday and then drop dramatically after that. I can't wait. I haven't been able to get anything done all week.