River Help!!!!

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by DaleJrFan2008, May 14, 2008.

1. DaleJrFan2008

DaleJrFan2008 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well guys i went fishing on the river today and was useing bluegill...i had some awsome bites but noticed a few times i would real in and just the belly area would be ate out!!!!!!

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Mark I have had that happen to me on occasion and when just the belly is eaten out most always it was turtles doing the eating.JMHO. Welcome Aboard Sir. J.D.

3. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bet that is what is doing it. They are bad about that.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    MARK I USED TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.. BUT I HAVE COME UP WITH A LITTLE TRICK FOR THAT! I ALWAYS BRING LIVE AND DEAD BAIT WITH ME... IF I AM CONCENTRATED ON FLATHEAD I WILL CUT UP SOME OF THE DEAD BAIT AND PUT OR THROW IT IN THE SHALLOWS "NO CURRENT" AREA ONCE OR TWICE AN HOUR, THIS WILL ALMOST ALWAYS KEEP THE TURTLES AT BAY.

P.S. MAKE SURE THE DEAD BAIT IS A GOOD SIZE OR THE TURTLE MAY NOT PICK UP THE SCENT

5. DaleJrFan2008

DaleJrFan2008 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks i am gonna head back out after doctors appt. in the morning will try same hole and make sure to throw some dead out thanks for the advice....

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Sounds like turtles to me as well... let us know if turtle baiting works....

7. DaleJrFan2008

DaleJrFan2008 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Update to my fishing day i caught 1 sturgeon and no bites on greenies or cut skipjack any ideas i even tried casting into down trees and letting it sit and still nothing!!!!! Water was 58 Degrees and about a 11 ft hole then moved up to a 39ft hole and nothing i am thinking sioux city is dead to catfishing to stressed out from all the traffic

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    IT HAS BEEN A WEIRD YEAR MAN JUST KEEP THOSE LINES IN THE WATER, I HAVE FISHED ALL OVER MY AREA AND ONLY ONE SPOT IS PRODUCING ALMOST CONSTANTLY, STILL NO FLATTIES HERE JUST A TON OF CHANNEL CAT