River Help

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by PaJay-p, Sep 28, 2009.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I fish a fairly large river that is channeled out for barge traffic. There is very little deep water, over 15 feet. The deep structure is scarce and the only structure is in the shallows or around parked barges. The barges don't stay in one place very long so I have had very little success around them. Should I be concentrating on the channel or the shallow structure and if so how shallow and when?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

There really aint no one answer to your question Dave.On the 3 rivers around Pittsburgh,I fish water from 5ft to 40ft.Some areas where there isn,t much cover,I,ll fish for them out in the channel.Other areas with cover,I might be as shallow as 3 ft.In general,try and find some area with good bottom cover,boulder piles,bridge pilings,any kind of downed wood underwater,where any creeks enter,along any walls.In general,I,ll be fishing shallower in the summer,sometimes they just seem to be on the move though and you just gotta try different types of cover til you hit em.Seems like you can usually always pick up a couple fish under any of the dams too.

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    deeper channel during the day and target the shallow structure at nite, i've caught them in as little as 2 ft of water, but i'd be lookin for some down trees or logs or some structure 4-6 ft would be prime, but i'd be lookin closer to the shoreline. or around bridge structure.

4. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    If you have a boat heres a suggestion I got from a bass magazine. take you a chainsaw some heavy rope or chain and find some blown down trees on the bank of the river that you can cut and drag into the water, sink them in a spot you wanna fish in. use milk jugs filled with gravel or sand, tie it to the trees ( doesnt have to be giant trees). make your own brushpile cover, and give it about 3 or 4 days and the baitfish will find it, then the crappie and bass and then kaboom the cats will be there soon enough. you will have your own secret fishing hole.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Great idea I think I'll even try that on a lake or two I know.

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

what he said!:smile2:

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can certainly catch flatheads deeper, but 15 feet is plenty deep for them. Personally, I would be looking for any kind of structure or cover with about 10 feet of more of water. Even if the barges don't stay in one place, are there barge mooring piles? They should produce some cover around the pilings? Any ledges or rock in the deeper water? Plus, of course, any natural outside bends with some cover, even if it's not the deepest water around...

8. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    It works. Fish are drawn to cover. If there isnt any, make some. Mark it... GPS it whatever... If you build it they will come. Lakes are really the best for this tactic because theres no real threat of flood current sweeping away all your hard work.
    I have done it in featureless bottom ponds by dropping a few Xmas trees in within a week it has its own ecosystem. Rivers are no different really. Giv'em food, cover, ambush points and its on.