River flowing in the wrong direction...at least on one side

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Nov 1, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Unlike the Rat's post, this doesn't have a happy ending. In fact, nothing happened. Put in at Alton again and fished a few holes that I didn't fish two nights ago. Shallow and deep. Not a bite. While I spent most of my time glued to my electronics looking for the tell tell arches, I still soaked a few baits.

My last spot that I anchored on (where I've caught a few fish before near the dam) surprised me a bit. My stinkin' boat was drifting up stream. The water was going the wrong way........where it usually is ripping pretty good going south. I've only been fishing it for a couple of summers, but this was a first for me. I'm sure when this happens, the fish move accordingly and are stacked up somewhere, but I didn't realize the conditions we're so different until it was too late. I would like to do it all over again.

2. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That "backwater" is usually found behind dikes and structure. Some say that's a good place to fish... :wink:

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The back side of a large eddy is where you find water like you are talking about. Where the two currents meet is where the fish will be.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    is that where erics new favorite spot is j.w? lol

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is hard to say,....I think he has about 50 favorite fish'n holes, LMAO!!!

6. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    This backwater was directly in the middle of the river......i think it had to do something with half of the gates being closed. Apparently if you are in the right spot, it's a good thing. I've seen it behind dikes and what not, but not half the river??? Basically, it just proves I'm still steep on the learning curve.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Oh man, Greg that would have been a HOT spot. See Dan's post about belting them the other day. I've found just about anytime my stearn is up the river, I'm going to catch fish. Like ol JW posted, right along those current seams are great places to place a nice filet-o-skipjack. :wink: