River flow bite ratio?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by onlyriverfish, Aug 28, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Has anyone noticed any corrolations between dam flow release (cfs) to increased times of activity? Most of us prob dont go enough during the summer to put together an accurate assessment, but maybe having friends give reports and such.....

I am thinking that the bite may be better during high flows (like july) compared to lower flow of August (?).

2. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I am sure there is a correlation, doesn't make much difference in the MO as far down river as I am (Jefferson City, MO). But when I do fish the Osage near the Missouri there is a definate correlation to fish activity and river flow, when ever they are generating at Bagnell and the water rises the fishing is definately better.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't find a corrolation between the two really. I have my best luck when the river has a steady flow.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I always try to fish when its on the rise,kinda like a incoming tide in saltwater.
    When its falling,and I start catching drum,its time to pack it up.

5. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    James, I think there is a big correlation between current flow and no current flow. I think it is easier to find the fish when there is more current because, the cats are behind the structure getting out of the current. When there is no current the cats are scattered because, there is no reason for them to hide behind structure to escape the current and you have to go look for them (drifting)...

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    My main catfishing water is the Arkansas River and I have trouble catching fish when there is no current. When we have from 20-40 thousand cfs of water for a few days I can usually catch a mess. We sure need a break from this drought we've been having so they will let some water loose.

st

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I am guilty of forgetting or not taking into account the broad range of territory that we all fish here.

Where I fish the water flow would be detrmined by the dam upriver (Gavins point)which is what-80miles up? The tributaries I have vary by rainfall only.

So the entire question is really very proximity specific. Guess more accurate is to say I thinking higher flow=better bite-do you also find this to be true?

Thanks for sharing.

8. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i fish the missouri river by omaha through neb. city and find that the lower water is definately better fishing. i have also found that most of the people in that area agree with this also.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have just recently experienced this exact question...for the past two weeks I have been fishing the Mississippi river just below the Alton dam. I went out last night and noticed the river was up a good 3-4 feet than the last couple times I was out. I can tell you that for some reason the fish had lock-jaw...I was able to boat three 10 lbers but those were caught over an 8-9hour period. The previous two times I was out I was catching one every 30 minutes or better!! and they didn't hesitate to take the bait, it was BAM and that was it...last night I noticed that they were nibbling but just wouldn't "commit" to it.

I also fish the missouri river alot and notice that when the water level is up, the bite is down...but that's my opinion.:big_smile: I here just the opposite from other fellas but for me personally, I can't catch a cold when the rivers are high! :big_smile:

10. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Zach and Bill. When the river is up are you still fishing the same spot as when the river was down? In my own experince, when the river is up, the fish are usually looking for slacker water, therfore they want be where they where in the lower water conditions. Usually I have to move in towards the bank and find the slacker water and structure to catch the cats in high water conditions...

11. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    When the Missouri is flowing the fish are biting.I used to go under the Earth City bridge when the water was up and running and wipe some bluecats out on crawdads in the summer.

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey James, yes here on the Arkansas where I fish a good flow = better bite. They don't always bite when we have some current but when they do I can usually catch enough for supper.

st

13. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I think james is right about changing areas fished during high water. I think thats why I have had trouble these conditions.

But til I actually make it happen-get skunked early and then change methods to prove it I wont know for sure.

This high water is one thing, but in a dammed river thats releasing steady water I was referring to "flow rate discharge". Not the actual water level. Wondering if fish respond to 37,500 cfs one month then next month its 32,500 cfs. is it a factor in the bite-Im not sure and its hard to check since Missouri river flow isnt due to change soon.

I will just stick it in the log and keep checking.

14. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    What James said is definitly worth repeating.

"When waters high and hard look harder for the current breaks and shallow edges". I will do that next time out.
    That would also put me behind dikes and ISB that were not being worked- Good info! Thanks man!

15. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    When the river is up and rolling is when I like to be on the river normally I'll be right along the banks and if there is that heavy riprap rock I will target that hard, A few years ago a bunch of us went down to the Cumberland river in Tenn. to fish, the rains had put the river almost out of it's banks we had targeted most everything with nothing to show then we slid along a heavy riprap bank and just slayed them one right after another.

What we saw was those big rocks were acting as breaks for the current three foot away the current was rocking but inside that three foot area to the bank the water was moving real slow and those Blues were right against those rocks,it was tough fishing as I had three of us on my boat and we were all trying to get our lines against the bank, so we had to cast one long then one midway, then a short one, I had never paid much attention to it before but I do now.

I also like to target the inside bends of those outside turns that everyone likes to target, again the water is a tad bit slower allowing the fish to rest................Doc

16. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    any time you fish rip-rap their will be fish, look for the bigger rocks. but when the river is rising this would be the best option. when the river is running stabily high that is the period where i don't catch fish. largely because of all the food and crap washing along the bottom and all the fish have a buffet for a few days. then when the river starts falling i start catching fish again. i would concentrate on feeder creeks during high flow but the nearest one to me is within 5 miles so i dont get down their to often.

17. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Zach,
    Are you fishing boat or bank?
    I find lately and historically best during stable (longer the better), I am finding them in channel then.

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Catfishhunter Hit the Nail right square on the Head in My opinion. J.D.:smile2:

19. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Hey Doc, I have tryed to fish those rocks (on the Missouri) just as you described but it is nightmare of snags. Even with the three way rig I loose everything every cast unless a fish picks it up and carries it above the rocks but that seldom happens. How do you rig up to fish those areas? Thanks.

20. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yes you will get alot of snags, but they are worth it. if you get snagged try to get it free if it doesn't just leave it till' you move. remember when you get snagged 90% of the time it is your weight so with a three way rig your weight is stuck in a rock but your bait is still floating and waving just above or behind a rock. and the way a catfish strikes will loosen your rig when he bites. he will come up current take the bait then turn and run down stream.