River fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by luckey wade, Feb 19, 2009.

1. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Where do the channel cats live? An what is there habbits of living?
    I river fish alot an never try to catch channels. But this earley spring .Im going to try to catch them.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's an old thread that might help you Randy being you fish the same river system as I do.. Hope it helps ya some....rollo

Bump a Stump Channel Cats!!
    During the course of the fishing season i sometimes head out in the early morning for a day of channel cat fishing. I mainly flathead fish so, this is a nice change of pace for the patience.. Anyways, a cooler of fresh cut baits, such as shad, suckers, and chubs and im ready to go!! My rig is simple a 3oz. flat sinker thats sliding on the main line, a bead, and an 7or 8/0 gamu. j-style hook. i like keeping the sinker close to the hook and bait to help minimize my hangups..Now, this is where i really have fun! during the warm water months, the process i target these channels may be slightly different than some do.. i have anchored above and below logjams, and rockpiles with great sucess, especially in those with current flowing through them. But, it has seemed to me over the nights on the water that the bigger channels sometimes become nocturnal feeding mostly during the dark hours, and the smaller to med. size fish will tug at your bait during the day...SO, back to the having fun... i developed the idea of driving my boat into the middle of these narly wood structures as deep as i can without getting stuck, often wedging my boat on a log to anchor. Now with a short 5'5'' st.croix x/h rod and my 6500 garcia spooled with 40lb. big game i drop baits vertically straight down in the middle of this mess... at first i was under the impression these fish would scatter with my noise and commotion..But, they don't seem to. And, alot of these bigger channels, the night feeders are back in here during the light hours.. let me say, you will lose fish doing this, even with a broom stick for a pole! lol.. But, the size of the fish i was getting during the daylight hours was greatly improved.. this is a one pole method, you have to fish pole in hand...fish every side of the boat, every little crevice between the logs straight down.. its amazing how these fish even get into some of these places. i also carry a second outfit.. an 11 ft. surf rod/spinning outfit...after you vertically fish around the boat with the shorter rod, use the longer rod to vertical fish out farther away from the boat using the same method straight down!! if you don't have any action simply lift you bait/sinker slowly...most the time if it feels hung its just the sinker hitting or wedging in the timber.. simply drop the tip easy and lift easy.. this is the advantage of the simple rig, most of the time you can ease it out with burying the hook.. after fishing the logpile and feeling you have covered it properly, simply move to the next...might try this method on you river or stream this summer, and see if them big boys are held up in that really thick timber.. and don't be affraid to bump a stump with the boat while doing so!!! lol..goodluck.....rollo

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great post Rollo!!! As a kid I can remember catching cats while sitting on a tree that had fallen across the creek near home in much the same manner as you described.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Didn't you Rollo, Kip, and S-Man get skunked at some lowhead dam a few weeks back? In April and May, the channels will be down there fattening up for the spawn. If it's really snaggy, use a slip-float and drift the tailwaters with the bait about 1 foot off the bottom.

This is what I do when I want some hot and heavy channel cat action.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LMAO! I never wet a line...I just stopped by to b/s for a bit.. So I'm covered:smile2: They can fend for themselves:crazy::smile2: rollo

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Actually Tan, me and Randy never even had bait on our hooks! Just an excuse to get out of the house! LOL!:smile2:

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    channel catfish usually hang around STRUCTURE big word usually same habitat where largemouth bass along with flathead catfish log jams rip rap cement pylons road road tressles in the great miami i have caught all 3 in these places rick