River Fishing Tips

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by flatheadshome, Jul 16, 2008.

1. flatheadshome

flatheadshome New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am not familar at all with Missouri River fishing. Anyone have any tips on skip jack and what kind of holes consistantly catch blues at night. Thanks

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Not familar with that are, but someone will help you out.

Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

3. bluecat junkie

bluecat junkie New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Shannon,

I usually catch all of my skip jack on the Mississippi River. I have tried to locate them on the Missouri River, but have not been as successful. I mostly catch shad on the Missouri River. As far as where to look for bluecats on the Missouri, try the outside river bends during the day as the blues tend to like the faster current and deeper water. This is also where snags and brush tend to gather which is also favored by bluecats. Also, don't ignore the scour holes at the end of wing dikes as they tend to congregate there also. At night I like to move from deeper water to shallow until I locate the blues. If you can find a flat adjacent to a deeper channel that would be a good place to start. I know this is vague, but it's a place to start. Also, pay attention to the board, because there is some very good and useful knowledge that is shared on a regular basis. There are a lot of great fisherman and fisherwomen on this site. Good luck and happy fishing.
    Scott

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    First off Welcom to the BOC Shannon. All I ever catch is smaller fish so I cant help to much. But there are people who will head you in the right direction here. What a wealth of knowledge on here. So far I am having on of the best years for catfish that I have ever had. I can tell you it is due to the info and answers to my questions on this site. IT is by far the best site you will ever come by. Good luck on the river.

Tom

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Shannon.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the BOC?

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

The kind with blues in 'em :big_smile: Sorry, man, couldn't resist. They're hard to pattern sometimes - if I could predict where the things would be on a given day I'd quit my day job:smile2: Your best bet is to try different depths/structure/current patterns until you find what works. And once you figure it out, the river will go up, or down, or the fish will decide they're hungry for another type of bait and you get to start over again:big_smile: That's the fun of fishing the big MO - constant change. But the fish are there if you're willing to put the time in. Good Luck!

Branden

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I haven't fished to mity Mo yet, but it's just a river. If i were to go by myself i would start out trying to find holes behind dikes. Also i think i would try to locate structure of some kind. Time reading the graph and just looking is part of fishing any new body of water i think. Also, welcome to the BOC.

10. biermann83

biermann83 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    right now u can catch nice fish anywhere in the willows. around three to 10 foot of water is where we have been having luck here lately. find a spot where there is a deep hole near by and fish the edges of the willows. welcome to the BOC

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Not many places on the Missouri with willows at the edge of the water (unless its flooding, I guess).