River fishing questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by papabear108, Jun 18, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey everybody.
    So, I have a big fishing trip planned for saturday June 20, 2009. Planning on taking my son and four friends in the cape fear north of Hwy 42. That is probably irrevelant to my topic. My question is is about water quality and level. We have been receiving storms every night for at least a week. I checked the Deep river and Haw river today, they join to form the cape fear, and they are a little high and the water is very muddy. Should I not be expecting much? Will the cats even bite if the water is high and muddy? Are there particular tactics I should use for this water condition? Thanks in advance.

Brian "BEAR" Lantz

2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I am not sure about NC but in MS a old fishman told me that it don.t get to muddy or to deep. If the catfish want to bite they will. I have been when I though every thing was right and not caught a fish. Then when I thought I would not do any good and load the boat.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If the current has been really strong for a long period of time. Find a place that has a natural current break (water will be moving much slower). The fish will be holeing up in these areas because they are tired of fighting the current.

4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Some of the best fishing I've had in Broad River has been when the river is up, especially when it is rising. I'm not sure what species you have in that river, but we catch mostly bullheads, and that is what I'm basing my observations on. I think they turn up the feeding when the fresh water starts washing a lot of trash down the river. Being muddy usually doesn't matter because they use smell so much anyway, and some around here would rather have the water be muddy instead of clear. I find fish in muddy and clear water so I don't think it makes much difference, but I do think I catch more large bullheads with muddy water.

The one thing that makes it tough to fish is when the current gets too fast. It gets tough to stay anchored and the baits won't stay on the bottom without a lot of weight. Sometimes when this happens you can catch a lot of fish right behind or beside islands, in the mouths of creeks, and anywhere where the water isn't moving much. There does seem to be a level where you probably won't catch much no matter where you go, but this is usually when the river is running over the islands and coming out of the banks. I have heard of people catching them in the fields and woods when this happens though.

If you do go and the water is up, keep a good eye up river for logs, especially if the water is rising.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sometimes it makes them easier to find if the waters up.A lot of them will be tucked in behind current breaks-walls,barges,back side of big points,nice eddy.You won,t be wasting your time,never seen our rivers high enough to put em off the feed.Just gotta fish a few different spots sometimes.I,ve done good fishing in flooded parking lots already!:wink:

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i agree with Pat, find u a break in the current and fish the edges. something with structure. listen, muddy water makes no difference, catfish have a super sense of smell. if they are there, theyll find ur bait.

7. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA

Exactly. I've fished the Allegheny when it was feet upon feet over it's banks and it looked like chocolate milk, but the cats and carp didn't seem to notice at all.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am not nearly as knowledgeable as a lot of the bothers but I can't seem to catch crap unless the river is muddy and up. As long as it is safe it would not stop me.