River fishing question.....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by harper81, Apr 29, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    What are some good spots to find fish in a river other than log jams? I tried to fish a log jam last night and lost both rigs I casted out so needless to say that frustrated me and just wondering if there are safer spots.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yepper,
    Sounds pretty normal to me,,
    Try and find holes, dropoffs, rocks, anything that can give relief from current to a Flatcat.
    Targeting them if pretty tough for me, trying to get a bait in front of a fish..maneuvering the boat, etc..
    I lose a lot of tackle,,,
    I end up setting up somewhere and let them come to me when the frustration level gets up there!!! And,, Still lose tackle:smile2:

3. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    One trick is to get right over the top of the log jam and let your line out straight down..the only problem is if you do get a hit you have to get them in quick so they do not get tangled..another trick is check your depth and put a float on your line and let out enough line to keep the bait about a foot off the bottom..let the line out from the boat and let the bait float to the log jam if you like to fish above the jam. You may have to go to a 3 way rig with a break off on the sinker..be sure to have the point of the hook covered with the bait.

4. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bill,
    Here's the disclaimer, the following is not a statement of fact, just my humble opinions. Knowing the kind of luck I've been having lately, you'd be wise to take this all with a grain of salt:wink:.

In rivers like the Wateree and Congaree it's possible to catch fish anywhere and it's also possible to get skunked any time. Fishing in the river can be seasonal and I'm sure that there's a lot of science to it but the different terrains are all so close together that the fish use them all. I've fished my favorite spots for hours with no luck only to go back to camp and light em up from the bank. I've also sat in camp all day not catching anything from the inside of a bend then moved to the outside and knocked them out.

Personally I think that water & light conditions are huge when fishing the Congaree/Wateree. I also believe that finding bottoms that are not too muddy/soft helps.

I've always been able to catch big fish as the summer wears on by fishing fairly shallow at night. I fish the insides of sandbars, typically near the top but depending on the bottom we'll catch some near the lower ends as well. I'll anchor about 1/3 of the way across the river and cast my lines out stretching all the way from the shallow bank to the edge of the deepest water. For this kind of fishing I'll use a 2 or 3 oz weight which holds my bait down but still allows it to drift around on the sandbar some. I may feed out 25-75 yards of line so that I'm fishing an extremely large area. The bottoms are clean so getting hung up isn't a huge problem.

When fishing during the day the best luck I've had is in finding deep holes (typically outside bends) with plenty of structure. I'll either tie off directly to the structure or drop anchor well above it and feed out rope until I'm sitting just above it. I'll use anywhere from 4 to 8 oz of weight depending on bait size and current. The key is in being able to get your bait down as quickly as possible. I want to be able to drop my bait right into the hole or be able to pitch it to the cover without the current dragging it across everything. As soon as the bait hits the bottom I stop letting line go. It's a very tight presentation but it's also more accurate. If I feel my line is getting hung I'll just let it lay until I get ready to move then go get it. Often times it's your weight that gets hung. If a fish comes along and takes the bait he'll free your line up for you.

Just remember, this is a tough type of fishing and thats why we don't buy hooks and sinkers one at the time, we know we're gonna lose them. A catfish is a voracious predator when he's hunting. The problem is that catfish are just on and off type feeders and who knows exactly what flips the switch. Anyone who has ever opened up a big blue and seen the kind of stuff they eat knows that they're not typically too finicky and it's rare that your rig is going to disuade them from taking a bait. A 10lb cat can consume any sunfish or shad in the river so he's not gonna let you scare him off. It's often just a matter of whether they are in the mood or not. The same place you are lighting them up today will skunk you tomorrow.

I doubt this helps much but I wanted to let you know we are all looking for the answers. :eek:oooh: When you think you've found them let us know.

By the way, we'll be putting in at 601 again Saturday night. Are ya'll headed back out?:roll_eyes:

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As far as I am concerned Lawrence has hit the nail on the head. If you are going to fish rivers you cant be scared to by swivels, sinkers, and hooks.

6. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina

I keep a pair of gloves on the dash of my boat just for popping line. I actually expect to lose a rig or 2 at pretty much every setup when fishing log piles. I have a little clear box that stays right on top with a handful of weights, a pack of swivels, a pack of hooks and a roll of flourocarbon just so I don't have to dig through a tackle box to re-rig in a hurry. I also have an extra rod or 2 in the boat so that I can keep all my rod holders busy while I sit down to retie anything that breaks or better yet while I'm untangling a peck or dorsel fin from the net and getting a hook out of somebody's whiskers.:wink:

7. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am definitely fishing Sat. if the t-storms stay away, but not sure where yet.

Here is a quote from an article on SC Game and Fish, any truth to it?

"Just look for the willows," Robb said. "Where the willows end, the water is getting deeper. That's the beginning of a hole that's likely to have catfish in it."

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's a pretty generic statement. The willows grow in shallow, sandy areas, usually on the inside of river bends, and where they end will most likely be deeper water. I use that fact a lot when running on the rivers in the lower state; the willows do indicate the shallower (inside) of a bend, but usually if you stay a short distance from them, you can run on plane pretty safely, versus the deeper outside bend that often can have engine damaging, submerged logs in the shallower rivers around here.
    "That's the beginning of a hole that's likely to have catfish in it." Well, almost any hole is "likely" to have a catfish in it. It isn't a given, but sometimes the holes at the end of sandbars will hold catfish. Most of the outdoor writers repeat each other a lot,, just change the verbiage, as you know if you read much in outdoor magazines. :smile2:

9. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm watching the weather too. I am playing at the Rosewood Crawfish Festival from 3:00 til 3:35 then heading home to load up the boat. I hope to be at the the 601 ramp by 5 or 6.

As far as the willows I actually would say there is some truth to that but it's an awefully broad statement. In the lower parts of the Wateree I have caught both catfish and stripers by tying off to the willows in really sharp bends and letting my bait rundown the sand bar. Problem is this is also a really good tactic for garfish:smile2:.

10. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Were down to a 20% chance of rain. Hopefully it will be clear. I'll probably end up at 378 as usual, but who knows, may see you at 601. Just picked up a spotlight and a thermacell so I should be set for an all nighter. The mosquitoes pushed us off the river the last time out, hopefully the thermacell's work like advertised.

11. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The thermacell is one of God's best little gifts to man. We use'em all the time and they really do work. Only problem is if you fall asleep those dang skeeters'll eventually figure out how to turn it off. Next thing you know they've sucked so much blood out of you that you're light enough for them to tote you off through the swamp.:embarassed: Whenever you camp on a sandbar you should always take thermacells, tiki torches, light a fire, bath in skin-so-soft, and then hose down with deet. Even if it doesn't keep the critters away it'll keep you and the old lady from feeling frisky and save you from getting bug bites in places that tend to get chaffed by your clothes.:wink:

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Lawrence you aint right.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    But I asked my wife and she thuoght I made perfect sense.:wink::smile2:

14. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Pee Dee is the snaggiest (if that's a word) place I've ever fished. I figure the more line you put out the more junk you will have to drag it across. Put the boat near where you want to fish. Drop the line nearly straight down and stop the line when it hits bottom. If there are fish in the hole they will likely come to the bait. It's kind of funny...watch the bank fisherman throw the bait as far toward the middle as possible. The boat fisherman is sitting on top of where the bank fisherman is trying to get. What does he do? Throws to the bank????